sharetrader
Page 138 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    No, but I think it was not a coincidence that one of the bigger property developers around Christchurch in the decade after that was called "Apple Fields"
    I had shares in Apple Fields!

It was a land banking exercise rather than an apple business.

Tom Kain spent more time and resources fighting the Apple and Paer Board than he did running the orchards!

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    2o years ago I asked a friend of mine - who was then an apple grower - how best to prune our apple tree. "a horizontal cut at ground level" was the reply. Swings and roundabouts, now it is flavour of the month.
    Three things have changed :

1. NZ Apple & Pear Board monopoly has been removed,

2. Australian and Asian/China markets have opened up,

3. Apple varieties now cater to the different taste profiles of the different markets.

Banned

With all things happened to Our kiwi fruits..would it affect our apples too?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    With all things happened to Our kiwi fruits..would it affect our apples too?
    Shouldn't , but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules ...,,,

Quote Originally Posted by emveha View Post
    My read on that would be "strong growth" opps, I might have used that term before on this thread

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    My read on that would be "strong growth" opps, I might have used that term before on this thread
    My only problem with this , is we will keep planting ... Just like we did with Sav Blanc causing a Savalanche ...and the export of bulk Sav to be bottled into own brand labels of the big supermarkets .Taking away the premium product ....Bit like mass dairy conversions , produce more and more of the white stuff .... price collapse ....
    It's fine to produce them but you have to be able to market/ sell them each year at an acceptable price ... that certainly isn't happening with the white stuff at the moment .NZ is such a boom bust economy , pity we seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes .

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    NZ is such a boom bust economy , pity we seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes .
    It is, as it was, and always will be, in some industries. Just make sure you are in early and out before the bust!

Handsome Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    My only problem with this , is we will keep planting ... Just like we did with Sav Blanc causing a Savalanche ...and the export of bulk Sav to be bottled into own brand labels of the big supermarkets .Taking away the premium product ....Bit like mass dairy conversions , produce more and more of the white stuff .... price collapse ....
    It's fine to produce them but you have to be able to market/ sell them each year at an acceptable price ... that certainly isn't happening with the white stuff at the moment .NZ is such a boom bust economy , pity we seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes .
    Someone will come up with the next big thing using apples.... Apple crumple will make you lose weight because the Kardashians said so, or cider made with NZ apples reduces cancer, eat nz apples because Martha Stewart said so etc etc. and that will keep em coming for more..

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Someone will come up with the next big thing using apples....
    I definitely cannot be recreated using only apples.

I have a different take on this, due to the growing market and adaptation of apple variety for the Asian taste buds. This implementation of the sweeter variety has only just come into play as a result of planting the specific trees a few years back. I'm sure the Asian market will continue to grow despite any 'booms/busts' due to the well known health benefits and marketability of NZ apples in Asia and the sheer demand for produce over there. Already we can see a change in the target markets for NZ growers and I believe with the low kiwi dollar and the growing Asian market, Scales has nothing to worry about for some time.