sharetrader
Page 139 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    ? . . .NZ is such a boom bust economy , pity we seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes .
    It's the price you pay for being a commodity product exporter. You get the chance to take the price the market offers, or. . .

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    It's the price you pay for being a commodity product exporter. You get the chance to take the price the market offers, or. . .
    Yup.

Commentators liked to commend Fonterra as a success story for NZ - which it is but actually could be even more so as a huge success story if Fonterra had followed the likes of Kraft, Nestle or Danone and moved into added value consumer branded products.

Too late unfortunately.
    Last edited by Balance; 08-08-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Wink Feeling hungry, as usual

So are we saying that Scales needs to move up the value chain and start making:

Apple pies;
    Apple chips;
    Apple crumble (or better yet Rhubarb & Apple crumble).

I think they should definitely diversify into the rhubarb market.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Hmmm Apple Crumble...cut it out I'm getting hungry.

They definitely need to lift their game at the Annual meeting in terms of hospitality, apple crumble and ice-cream, (perhaps a new apple flavoured variety) would make a good start, along with apple juice, pet food samples for my dogs and of course fresh apples.

As long as they stay away from alcohol ......might turn off some 'ethical investors'
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post

Apple pies;
    Apple chips;

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Pies would be a good start. If the Greeks can do it. . .

But overall, NZ is a commodity exporter. On my travels, its usual to see NZ cheese in nothing smaller than 5kg blocks, NZ meat exported as whole carcasses, 25kg sacks of milk powder, apples discounted to the bottom 1/3 of the price range, and so on and so forth.

The only "pre-packed" products have been Hansells "Pancakes-in-a-Flash", wine, and Silver Fern Farms beef fillets.

Plenty of Vegemite, never any Marmite. . .

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Pies would be a good start. If the Greeks can do it. . .

But overall, NZ is a commodity exporter. On my travels, its usual to see NZ cheese in nothing smaller than 5kg blocks, NZ meat exported as whole carcasses, 25kg sacks of milk powder, apples discounted to the bottom 1/3 of the price range, and so on and so forth.

The only "pre-packed" products have been Hansells "Pancakes-in-a-Flash", wine, and Silver Fern Farms beef fillets.

Plenty of Vegemite, never any Marmite. . .
    Getting a bit off topic, but NZ needs its own national spirit. The Japanese have Sake, Greeks have Ouzo, Russians have Vodka etc. NZ needs a national spirit that we can market and export. Perhaps something apple based is a good place to start.

If someone wants to get this going I'm keen to become business partners. Quite happy to be responsible for product 'research and development'

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Getting a bit off topic, but NZ needs its own national spirit. The Japanese have Sake, Greeks have Ouzo, Russians have Vodka etc. NZ needs a national spirit that we can market and export. Perhaps something apple based is a good place to start.

If someone wants to get this going I'm keen to become business partners. Quite happy to be responsible for product 'research and development'
    You know, you might be on to something there. Have you ever tried Calvados?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hmmm Apple Crumble...cut it out I'm getting hungry.

They definitely need to lift their game at the Annual meeting in terms of hospitality, apple crumble and ice-cream, (perhaps a new apple flavoured variety) would make a good start, along with apple juice, pet food samples for my dogs and of course fresh apples.
    Haha - a few Apple iPads and iPhones for lucky draws too?

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post

Apple pies;
    Apple chips;

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Go to a place like Thailand and see the amazing range of added value products they create from their fruits. As you are obviously familiar with that part of the world, there's no need for me to elaborate.

Reminds me very much of NZ 30 years ago when the restaurant and food scene consisted of roast lamb/beef, chewy steaks, sandwiches and sweet & sour pork. And yes, rhubarb dessert. Amazing what interaction with the world and a bit of imagination have transformed the food scene here?