sharetrader
Page 156 of 247 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

No mate, your earlier call that they'd go under $3.00 looks like being right.

I must admit it raised my eyebrows when I was in Countdown on the weekend and saw pre-packed bags of 1 Kg of Braeburn apples that appeared to be in very good condition selling for only 75 cents each. Not sure if this microscopic bit of anecdotal market pricing means anything or not but probably generating less than 30 cents per kilo net of GST for the grower by the time high retail margins, GST, transport and cold storage costs are taken into account.

Disc - Don't hold
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I also quit the lot at $3.30 & $3.12. Would consider reentering @ late $2 if it ever headed south.

Absolutely no decent apples here in the Arabian Gulf....just some soft ones from Europe and old Jaz apples from NZ. I was taking it to mean that SCL had long sold out and the Carrefour buyers here couldn't get anything decent! Don't like the share price as it tracks down.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    No mate, your earlier call that they'd go under $3.00 looks like being right.

I must admit it raised my eyebrows when I was in Countdown on the weekend and saw pre-packed bags of 1 Kg of Braeburn apples that appeared to be in very good condition selling for only 75 cents each. Not sure if this microscopic bit of anecdotal market pricing means anything or not but probably generating less than 30 cents per kilo net of GST for the grower by the time high retail margins, GST, transport and cold storage costs are taken into account.

Disc - Don't hold
    A lot of late season non-export quality apples on sale (as low as 99c/kg) at some of the greengrocers around my area - in big bulk bins.

I think the export crop was sold out a while ago.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    A lot of late season non-export quality apples on sale (as low as 99c/kg) at some of the greengrocers around my area - in big bulk bins.

I think the export crop was sold out a while ago.
    Think the outlook is still bright, having said that every stock does go through some bad patch along with general market sentiment, which explains some of recent weakness.

Happy to continue to hold and currency tailwind still favours strong export growth...

The only things you have to think about with SCL is:

Is the NZD low and is the weather good? Oh, and what are the speculative positions for those things.

As they're crops, always buy on the low because they will be cyclic. These things make them a really simple purchase. Personally, I'd wait until they have a bad year, then buy in big.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    The only things you have to think about with SCL is:

Is the NZD low and is the weather good? Oh, and what are the speculative positions for those things.

As they're crops, always buy on the low because they will be cyclic. These things make them a really simple purchase. Personally, I'd wait until they have a bad year, then buy in big.
    Does Scales have FX contracts to counteract the effects of FX exchange volatility? Agree that it is cyclic, although can you really time the market? as investors we're good at doing the opposite of buying low and selling high hahaha
    Toward his critics, the artist harbours a defensive ace: knowledge that the future will erase the present.

IMO

Cyclic alright; some years ago growers were being paid to remove their apple trees. Now its boom time again.Some days ago i read that something like 1,000,000 apple trees are being planted and 3 year waiting periods for nursery orders.
    New Zealand plants another million apple trees as

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile Apparently off to a good start

Somewhere there was a 'news' item that conditions had been/were top notch for the all important flowering season for the coming years crop and everybody was jolly pleased with the prospects for another good one.

But a long wait between drinks of ciders.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Veteran novice

I hate to think it, but I guess this means that in another few years there will be over-production and a lot of trees being pulled out again.