sharetrader
Page 205 of 247 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    6 years of importing suspected infected material, i despair ! Its extremely hard to not think that eventually NZ will have all the diseases of the world due to incompetence, ignorance, resistance and self interest from some ofthe farmers and growers and our propensity and reliance on travel and tourism . Customs will never be vigourish enough for fear of putting tourists off. Burning material after 6 years of importation of material. Well maybe MPI are becoming more efficient and assertive, i hope it is and not just some bum covering and job justification, heres hoping.
    As far as I know.. They were not suspect imports to begin with.. Sh$t happens..

Vigourish/Vigorish . ?? MPI I would like to think they could never be accused of either of those.

MPI may possibly be accused of being over the top with this one..
    However I would prefer it that way than to suddenly find we have foot and mouth.

Just another problem for us to overcome .. And we will..

What ever happened to Dutch Elm Disease ??.
    I do not know.. Is it still a problem.. Or have we learnt to live with it.. ??

Still more interested in what SCL have to say about this than pointing fingers..

considering how long it takes for a apple tree to fully mature roughly 8 - 10yrs? and the concern is with 5yrs ago from 1 only supplier you would think it would only impact recently planted orchards.

interesting if the $ they are talking about is tree value lost of the recent plantings or supply looking forward? or both the cost of tree lost and future production.
    one step ahead of the herd

looks like a hyped up story from that news org , if you read mpi website story it reads different

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-res...-or-destroyed/

some key points

We have concluded industry can keep priority plant material as long as it's properly contained while we determine if it can be tested for diseases so it may be released in the future, says the director of plant and pathways, Pete Thomson.

Nurseries and importers will be able to contain the affected apple plant material (around 21,000 plants and small trees) at existing sites under specific requirements. This will include access restrictions, no movement of plant material, and regular monitoring for any signs of disease.

For affected stonefruit plant material (around 26,500 plants and small trees), the biosecurity risk and containment requirements are higher. Further testing is required to rule out pests or diseases of concern.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post

Still more interested in what SCL have to say about this than pointing fingers..
    Agreed.
    I'm amazed and disappointed that there is no announcement from SCALES at this point. They must have known about this and the potential outcome.
    Yes, I am a worried investor.

Can’t blame MPI for being ultra cautious.

After that dangerous precedent of being blamed for the PSA thing and having to pay damages (probably) its a wonder they don’t ban the importation of any plants/animals etc. Where would that get the country
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Can’t blame MPI for being ultra cautious.
    Usually after the cow/kiwifruit vine/fish/oyster/myrtle rust/manuka honey bee has already bolted!

IMO

Yes , i find it hard to be optimistic . The odds are against us keeping stuff out unless things changed radically at the point of entry, which they won't anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm amazed and disappointed that there is no announcement from SCALES at this point. They must have known about this and the potential outcome.
    they only make announcement if there is one to make , no announcement nothing material to report

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Agreed.
    Don’t fret, obviously nothing material to report

And they made an announcement this morning about when results out
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Don’t fret, obviously nothing material to report

And they made an announcement this morning about when results out
    Everyone will be fretting. Yes, that is one interpretation. There is another one as well.