sharetrader
Page 238 of 247 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    It's pretty hard to buy a decent apple. Had some recently that are soft in the end ...R Gala...yuck. They look fine until one bites into them. Tried Braeburn...not much better.
    So we just planted a Coxes Orange...see how that goes.
    One wonders how our overseas customers get on.
    Disc: Holding.
    In this age of coolstores it is sometimes easy to forget that apples are not a year round crop. I buy my apples off an organic grower in greater Christchurch. Last week when I bought some (Braeburn and pink lady IIRC), the grower chucked in an extra Braeburn apple saying that they had feedback of apples looking great on the outside but not looking not so good inside. This is what you might expect at this time of year for NZ grown apples, all of which will be coming out of coolstores.

If you think planting a Cox's Orange apple tree will fix your apple issues in December, you will be sadly disappointed. IMO Cox's Orange are the best apples of all for taste and texture when in their prime. But Cox's Orange are a heritage apple that has not been bred for long life. The have a fairly short season and do not store well. March, April and May is the best apple time. I bought some beautiful succulent peaches the other day. Stone fruit is the best way to go in December.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-12-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

There is only one apple worth buying in the suppermarket,pacific rose,particuly the dark red ones.

Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
    There is only one apple worth buying in the suppermarket,pacific rose,particuly the dark red ones.
    I used to enjoy pacific rose too. Can sometimes be soft though, depending on the time of year. Export quality NZ 'Jazz' Apples are supreme though. Remember chomping them down when I once lived in London; even the domestic ones are pretty good too. Think the update today wasn't too bad; not good though either. Just BAU. Should continue its holding pattern one would assume....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    I used to enjoy pacific rose too. Can sometimes be soft though, depending on the time of year. Export quality NZ 'Jazz' Apples are supreme though. Remember chomping them down when I once lived in London; even the domestic ones are pretty good too. Think the update today wasn't too bad; not good though either. Just BAU. Should continue its holding pattern one would assume....
    I don't like the trend to the ultra sweet apples we now seem to have mostly.
    No Snoopy....realize our one Cox's orange apple tree will not solve any of my apple problems....however with luck we will get a few apples that we do like,

Guru

May be Scales should get into the cider game.

Guru

As seen with Seeka (and Zespri), horticultural exports can struggle with weather, supply dynamics, seasonality and other factors outside of producers control. Not to mention the tyranny of distance. While have their own logistics arm, will be still suffering from the high cost of getting anything anywhere.

The "global protein" division seems like the shining light currently - Shelby appears a good acquisition, Meateor going well and their Australian foray I think is a good strategic move given the supply market over there.

market not liking the outlook ?
    one step ahead of the herd

Been many years since Scales share price been this low

A close below 4 bucks could be ominous
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I topped up today, then a strong close, I'm a happy camper.

down ~5% today, presumably because of cyclone woes. an update from the company on how it is weathering events (pun intended) would be nice.

Interesting that SEK hasn't lost any ground at all. Maybe its all good in kiwifruit land?