sharetrader
Page 93 of 247 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Scales - SCL

All the hype and ramping going on around here has made me climb on board SCL with a small holding today.
    What would the risks be for this company? I was wondering if they'd have similar risks to Seeka? i.e. fruit and vegetable diseases. Bad weather - storms.
    I take it that a falling NZ dollar is a positive? Bigger bucks for exports.
    Last edited by JayRiggs; 16-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by JayRiggs View Post
    What would the risks be for this company?
    Main risk is foreign buyers purchasing your shares for around half of what they're actually worth

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by JayRiggs View Post
    All the hype and ramping going on around here has made me climb on board SCL with a small holding today.
    What would the risks be for this company? I was wondering if they'd have similar risks to Seeka? i.e. fruit and vegetable diseases. Bad weather - storms.
    I take it that a falling NZ dollar is a positive? Bigger bucks for exports.
    Yes, all of the above. Plus market risk if/when NZ apples fall out of favour; higher NZD at some point; other countries getting in on the apple act - although we have a good head start; all of the usual risks associated with international trading of food produce eg protectionist "concerns" such as the Tassie applegrowers show from time to time. Otherwise, go for it. I hold.

Excuse my ignorance, where did the liquidity come from? Who sold?

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Peitro View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, where did the liquidity come from? Who sold?
    Whenever a share has an exceptional rise there's always traders and profit takers prepared to take those profits. Probably nothing more than that - and Direct Capital's sale to Chinese interests yersterday.

Investor / Wizard / Mall Santa Pricey's Avatar

Direct Capital together with its co-investors retained a holding of 18.05% ownership in SCL following its IPO and all of those shares were held in escrow (couldn't be sold) up until 31 December 2015.
    "His loyalty couldn't be bought at any price; but it could be rented remarkably cheaply."

It has been famously said that the market is simply a platform whereby value is transferred from the impatient to the patient, a saying that seems quite pertinent in this particular case.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

It could well be correct to say Direct Capital have proven impatient, but they come from a position of buying a bargain off the SCF receivers and have made a fantastic return since then.

Some also hold the view of 'following the money', so for those who have "just joined the party" be cognisant that the organiser of the party has just finished drinking, and has (all but) left

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    It could well be correct to say Direct Capital have proven impatient, but they come from a position of buying a bargain off the SCF receivers and have made a fantastic return since then.

Some also hold the view of 'following the money', so for those who have "just joined the party" be cognisant that the organiser of the party has just finished drinking, and has (all but) left
    Thank you Xerof,a timely post.
    Very salient points.

Plenty of cheap Chinese liquor will be sloshing around soon enough
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine