[quote]Originally posted by rmbbrave

"The baby boomers are getting ready to retire and the biggest boom in NZ's history is around the corner"

Most people argue the opposite Dean.

Retirees don't have as much income as workers and so they sell assets (property shares) to make up the difference causing a drop in property and share prices.

Most argue that more retirees leads to a slowdown not a boom.

I'd like to hear why you think...

"The baby boomers are getting ready to retire and [this will cause] the biggest boom in NZ's history ..."

---Yeah have to say I agree
-IMHO with floating interest rates going over 10% soon, property which is also been booming for the last 5yrs+ is going to slow down in a hurry.(I've been spec building 4 the last 5yrs and very glad to have sold my last spec house with no more planned)
-With yields returns on property going down well below property costs
wouldn't baby boomers be selling out of the investment propertys and taking there 100%+ Cap growth Tax free funds forwarding funds into safe bank deposits returning 8%+ or Blue chip high yeild ASX stocks.
-Also as the baby boomers retire alot downsize there property forming a glut on the higher priced property's as they release more funds.

-Buying an investment property at top of the property cycle on a 10% floating or 9% fixed return with a est. 6%-7%max rent return +insurance+rates+envor rates+on going repaires+Rent Managerment costs

-Property Boom not likley more like doom

-JBmurc only holding sections going back renting