Heya guys,

Ok, this thread is a little off-topic, but I was hoping that perhaps I could find someone on here (qualified CA's / CFA's / Financial analysts) who could provide me with some advice.

I'm about to go into my third year at Uni, and am at a crossroads. My first two years here have been a bit experimental: I was not fully decided about the career path I wished to pursue, so I tried a bit of law, science and business and now I am 100% sure - commerce is the discipline for me!

Anyway, as I was saying, now I'm at a crossroads. These are my options:

A) Complete a BCom in Finance and Accountancy + PostDipGrad; or
B) Complete a BCom(hons) in Accountancy.

My problem, in essence, is deciding between a Honours accountancy, and having some Finance in my degree. Do you think it would be more beneficial having a BCom(hons) in Accounting or just a straight BCom in Finance AND Accountancy? I can't do a BCom(hons) in both, because it would take too long.

Some stuff I'd like considered:

- Earning capacity
- Generaly usefullness/versatility to a prospective employer
- Enjoyment
- Career opportunities (would I be looked on more favourably with a Hons degree in just Accounting, or a plain BCom in Finance AND Accounting)

After consulting with the associate professor, he told me that if I'm compeletley professionally career orientated (I am), then I should go for option A (straight BCom in Finc and Acc). He suggested that Hons was more for the academics who wish to do research.

Despite his recommendation, I am still not so sure. I imagine discussing accounting issues and doing some research for the Honours year would be very interesting. BUT, I am also extremely interested in finance (and if I do hons, I will do considerably less finance).

Any advice?

Thanks guys; I realize this is a bit off topic... but I figured this forum would be a good source of advice from people with actual experience.