Through my youth I've always heard people tell me the wonders of owning property. How people have bought a house for $X and sold for $2X etc. Until recently I've thought wow what a great profit! Right? Why would you rent it seems like you would be throwing your money away. Now I've realised that maybe house owners don't tell you the whole story of what owning houses really costs them, and that they too have a throw away amount through interest, house insurance, selling commission upkeep etc.

I've been furiously saving, and of course investing to, and have reached a decent house deposit. I have had successes investing (knock on wood) and have been thinking that I could be better off waiting later to buy a house and just carry on investing. It seems to make sense to me.

I have been struggling to run the numbers because I have had no experience with houses myself and most people seem one eyed when it comes to housing.

Has anyone thought along similar lines and come up with any thing they would be able to share with me to help me at my cross roads.

Btw Hi I'm Caleb and I've read these forums, mainly on the NZX, for a couple of years now and really enjoy seeing what everyone has to say