sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    May I suggest you spend $10 or $12 on a smoke detector.They work with both synthetic and wool smoke.
    After a good house fire neither carpet is any good.
    Of course, no-one would argue against the logic of having a good smoke detector, and as you point out Percy they are not exactly expensive. But I see that as quite separate to the argument of woollen verses synthetic carpet. The smoke detector gives you the signal to get out. Wool is slower to ignite and the fumes are less toxic when it does ignite. So the woollen carpet is giving you the time to get out, or perhaps snuff out any smoldering before the fire gets started. It is a slightly crude analogy, but I see the smoke alarm as the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, and the woollen carpet the barrier at the top that hopefully means any fire will not 'take hold'. Ideally you want both.

Having said all this, I do admit my current house was built in 1991 as a builders spec and has a synthetic carpet. I don't lose any sleep over that. But it has got to the stage where the living room areas are due for replacement and it hasn't held its colour particularly well. So I intend to replace that section with a woollen carpet.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 10-08-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7