Hi sharetraders, I've just found this website a few days ago & I could not resist signing up. Great knowledge and a bit of banter to boot is the makings of a good, happy & solid forum.
I got burnt back in 87 and it’s taken me all this time to get back into investing. So yes a newbie all over again, but somewhat wiser -hopefully. The game has changed plenty from how I remembered it.
Why did I start investing in stocks again? I got into a deep and meaningful discussion with somebody from the green Taliban about green politics and his vision for stopping NZ progressing and it really peed me off. How we should stand behind farming, income from tourism, the wine industry and green energy for our future and all of that. Sort of like the debate on TV3 last week but 6 months ago. He hated the facts I quoted that were dairy farming is killing our clean green image, vineyards are killing their neighbors and themselves with Pesticide over-spray, tourists are getting robbed, murdered, raped & dying in road accidents in large numbers every year in NZ and green energy is not ready to run without the known and proven for many years to come yet.
He told me to put my money where my mouth was - and I did. Funny how wisdom slows down your actions, but after about 20 weeks research I've brought two stocks that I thought were to good to overlook. Both are on the TSX & are Canadian corporations involved with NZ unconventional oil exploration in the East Coast Basin and one is drilling on shore in Taranaki. Most here could guess what stocks they are. Does not seem to be a lot of talk about them in the threads that I've seen. Does anybody else have an interest in the East Coast play?
If I’d found this site earlier I would of learnt that the ASB would be far more expensive than some of the American brokers mentioned within your US market threads before I ran with ASB securities. Just the mere fact that trading with ASB securities in North America is way on the high side, its stopped me taking profits when and were I should. I did check out Scottrade, but they aren't set up for internationals outside of China yet. I will be looking into a broker to handle those trades in the future, but might just leave them as a long play.
I’m also looking at the NZX & ASX. Homework on all possibilities first though. PEB looks good, not as good as a few weeks ago, never mind still a goer in my mind.
That’s my story and look forward to reading more of the wisdom and feel free to advise me when I state the obvious mistake because sparky the clown I am not. glta.