sharetrader

Threaded View

Default Newbie and some questions

Hello all i'm pretty new to share investing and i guess you could say money in general.

A little about me.

I am currently 16 in my last year of college.
    I've owned shares for the last couple of years but have only recently gotten pretty serious about it since late 2013.

My first investment was in 2010 when i had $2000 saved up from summer jobs and decided that i could get a better return than the bank interest rate.
    I bought $2000 worth of FBU around $9.60 in 2010 just before it plunged to around $6 . Bought $3000 more at $6.3 in 2012 and recently sold a couple of months ago at $8.2 and $9.4.

I could give some reasoning to why i bought each share but in all honesty i had no clue what i was doing. No one in my family invests and all the beginner investing books i read were pretty crap. If only i started off with reading Intelligent investor or etc. I really just went off broker reports and where i though each industry was heading.

Only after finding this forum did i realize there was more to investing and learnt alot about market cycles, valuation techniques, TA etc and that i could Do my own research. Thanks especially to KW, Sparkytheclown, Mac, Moosie etc i have learnt alot from some of you're posts

Since then i have made some nice paper profit gains thanks to PEB, SUM etc.

I would call myself a very new value investor and am getting into learning about Technical analysis.

I've had a pretty rocky start into investing and have made alot of mistakes and would put alot of my gains down to luck and a bull market. It's been pretty hard with brokerage killing me when i started, but it's a bit better now that i am with ASB securities and i have more cash. It's also pretty hard because i can't legally own anything until im 18 or what not and all the laws making it hard for someone of my age to invest.

My portfolio is now worth roughly 20k
    *10k Summerset
    *5k PEB
    *3K ZEL
    *2K MRP

I could ask questions for days but i'll try and resist.

Has anyone started at around my age?

Any advice/tips etc would be greatly appreciated. I read alot about not investing what you can't afford to lose. Well in my situation i would basically be fine if i lost everything. Not that i'm planing on it! So i'm tossing up between going all into high risk-high return companies and staying conservative with a long term outlook.

Valuation. I currently use an eps forecast and pe forecast to value company.The biggest problem for me is the pe ratio and whether to use a fair pe and how to find a fair pe or to link the pe to market conditions in which i have to forecast market conditions.

The next bear market? What's everyone's views on where the share market is going?

Thanks
    Last edited by Wolf; 28-01-2014 at 11:53 PM.