Hi everybody,

I am a 20 year old student residing in New Zealand. For the last couple of years i have been interested in getting into share trading and over the last 6 months or so i have done a lot of research on the topic.

I've got $1000NZD to start investing with, and am looking to try invest in some small cap stocks. All i have been told is that the best way to learn is to get out there and start. I am keen to try investing mainly on the ASX markets as most the shares on there have higher volumes than on the NZX and are therefore more volatile.

I have mostly looked at videos on technical analysis, and some on fundamentals, but it would be good if someone could recommend some good books on trading.

My main issue at the moment is finding a good online broker. The rates on ASB securities or DirectBroking seem far too high for me with the amount of money i have to invest? For example, i believe a trade on ASB will cost around $30 to open and close the position. And i believe that i should diversify enough so that i don't invest more than 10% on any one position. So if i am investing $100 i will have to make a gain of 30% just to break even which i realise is impossible starting out...

Ive also had a look at trading CFD's which seem like a good option as they are cheaper, i don't know a huge amount about them though. CMC Markets is a good option as its only around $8 per trade i believe, but this website has bad reviews.

Anyway, any feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if ive got any details wrong.

Thanks!