Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I just think that the people of NZ's money should go to help those who need it. Based on history I am guessing national super will become unaffordable sometime around 2029. (1964+65)
I agree. I think super should be means tested with full trust look through.

But that needs to be phased in, along with an increase in the age of entitlement.

This is need so that the young (under 40?) can plan knowing they only will get it in certain situations. The effect of that change should also be a change in the taxation of super funds, either a lower tax rate or EET regime (rather that TTE).

Unfortunately, by the time Key is rolled (he has said not under his watch), Labour will probably have a leader opposed to an increase and means testing. This issue needs a cross party accord.

So back to the original question, that is why I think I need more than what the rest of you are saying. Because I think I wont be receiving national super, but I think I will still be paying taxes at the rate that assumes I am - the worst of both worlds. Anything left over will ensure my family are educated and the world made a better place. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.