Bill's wording that "the public will realise something is amiss" is what got me. Asset price inflation has been a big thing since the late 1980s and targeted inflation came in. Even more so after 2007/08 and QE etc. It sounded more to me that Bill was concerned that if the share market didn't crash while people were losing jobs etc i.e. while the public suffer the owners of the economy are still sweet. The public might get ****ty about it.

I imagine a capital gains tax would be across the board not just shares. Anyway residential property owners already have a 5 year bright line test, maybe it could be extended to shares and commercial property? I was looking at the falls in the property companies and thought that Precinct Properties or Property For Industry aren't going to get affected by online shopping like KPG but then I was talking to a mate who works in a bank and has been working from home. The big cheeses have found it to be successful with software applications like Microsoft team they were talking about reducing the number of buildings needed. Could also be why Bill Gates doesn't want people getting together until there is a vaccine. His business must be doing really well. I should actually look at Microsoft, although buying US shares is expensive with ASB Securities.