Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
What could it potentially look like?and what is the best way to protect yourself from this?
That would depend on your ability to move. I recently moved from Australia to NZ post selling a company and shifting assets. That legally saved me 25% in capital gains on a large portion of shares due to trust structures so a) optimise your tax structure b) be willing and able to move to a "lower cost" jurisdiction. There is an overhead however... tax audits are going to come your way because the tax authority will want to validate that what your advisor told you stacks up. That brings me to another point... have a good tax lawyer/advisor and do what they say. You may receive a ruling against you ie "pay the tax they reckon you owe" but you will not get hit with penalties and interest.
Nomad Capitalist on youtube has some interesting idea's on being a 'global citizen'. I have friends in the Philipines that run all funds through Singapore and pay basic wages to his staff in Cebu which by they way is a great lifestyle. Like most things, what do you want from life? 183 days in a foreign jurisdication makes you a non-resident. Most countries have flexible citizenship options for the right level of investment.