Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Yesterday's capital raising document was the first I had heard of Contact Energy investigating building their own battery storage unit to become intergrated with their wholesale generation of power. I do wonder if anyone proof read the announcement, because batteries store energy, which means their capacity is measured in MWh (Mega Watt Hours) not MW (MegaWatts), I presume what the announcement was getting at was that the battery had to be able to supply power at the rate of 50MW. But that says nothing about how big the battery installation is proposed to be. For example a 50MWh battery could theoretically supply 50MW of power for one hour. But 50MWh would seem too small to be very useful.....

SNOOPY
The South Australia battery originally had a storage capacity of 129 MWh (later increased to 150 MWh) and an output of 100 MW for a cost of A$90M or NZ$100 M, So a 50 MW output with a storage of 75 MWh would be around $50 - 60 M to build. That is 1200 times the cost of storage at Onslow which Contact are not keen on.