sharetrader

Thread: Scales - SCL

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    It's pretty hard to buy a decent apple. Had some recently that are soft in the end ...R Gala...yuck. They look fine until one bites into them. Tried Braeburn...not much better.
    So we just planted a Coxes Orange...see how that goes.
    One wonders how our overseas customers get on.
    Disc: Holding.
    In this age of coolstores it is sometimes easy to forget that apples are not a year round crop. I buy my apples off an organic grower in greater Christchurch. Last week when I bought some (Braeburn and pink lady IIRC), the grower chucked in an extra Braeburn apple saying that they had feedback of apples looking great on the outside but not looking not so good inside. This is what you might expect at this time of year for NZ grown apples, all of which will be coming out of coolstores.

If you think planting a Cox's Orange apple tree will fix your apple issues in December, you will be sadly disappointed. IMO Cox's Orange are the best apples of all for taste and texture when in their prime. But Cox's Orange are a heritage apple that has not been bred for long life. The have a fairly short season and do not store well. March, April and May is the best apple time. I bought some beautiful succulent peaches the other day. Stone fruit is the best way to go in December.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-12-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7