sharetrader
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    hey sailor you didnt awnswer my qestion about do you think this service is good for the average person to construct there own portfolio and do you think they could do better than most kiwisaver managers and by the way can you construct a portfolio to better there return ( we are not talking about sp returns ) only manager returns so dont go off -track

No, I think it will destroy the average investor and there is no way they will be able to construct a better portfolio. The average investor is lucky to do 2% over the long term.

I think the service is a good idea from a choice perspective but having that choice will not be good for most punters. Like having the choice to smoke ciggies...

I was forced into Kiwisaver and used Craigs as I can pick stocks for myself and went 100% BRK, since doing so have destroyed every single kiwisaver fund in existence and will continue to do so, if fees are lower in Sharsies I will swap.

To answer your question, just look at Sharsies retail stats and see what people were buying and when, everyone will try to time the market and buy the latest hot thing and kill their retirement fund.

To think the average investor can pick stocks and outperform the profession managers is ridiculous, but they could all outperform if they just indexed.

Will be virtually impossible to get 8.5% from the index over the next 10 years unless inflation is high and persistent.

I think perhaps you are dramatically underestimating how hopeless the average investor is.

Do I think that BaaBaa or Maverick could use the service to pick their own stocks and outperform the managers, yes absolutely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    for the average person? no. Easy answer

I think you summed it up far better than I did!

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    No, I think it will destroy the average investor and there is no way they will be able to construct a better portfolio. The average investor is lucky to do 2% over the long term.

I think the service is a good idea from a choice perspective but having that choice will not be good for most punters. Like having the choice to smoke ciggies...

I was forced into Kiwisaver and used Craigs as I can pick stocks for myself and went 100% BRK, since doing so have destroyed every single kiwisaver fund in existence and will continue to do so, if fees are lower in Sharsies I will swap.

To answer your question, just look at Sharsies retail stats and see what people were buying and when, everyone will try to time the market and buy the latest hot thing and kill their retirement fund.

To think the average investor can pick stocks and outperform the profession managers is ridiculous, but they could all outperform if they just indexed.

Will be virtually impossible to get 8.5% from the index over the next 10 years unless inflation is high and persistent.

I think perhaps you are dramatically underestimating how hopeless the average investor is.

Do I think that BaaBaa or Maverick could use the service to pick their own stocks and outperform the managers, yes absolutely.
    self super in aus has been quite sucessful i read somewhere 26% roughly of the total pool is self managed and across all age brackets the participation and just like the markets there are winners and losers as far as people doing better i have not seen any research on overall if people do better. havnt read any reports eithier of people totally blowing up either there super

craig's lol only works for you cause you dont buy and sell all the time otherwise the fee's would destroy your account

i dont believe ba ba or mav can beat those figure's
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

self super in aus has been quite sucessful i read somewhere 26% roughly of the total pool is self managed and across all age brackets the participation and just like the markets there are winners and losers as far as people doing better i have not seen any research on overall if people do better. havnt read any reports eithier of people totally blowing up either there super

craig's lol only works for you cause you dont buy and sell all the time otherwise the fee's would destroy your account

Successful for who? You're just taking about number of participants. That means nothing.

Agree, craigs is awful but my only option at present.

You don't believe Mav or BaaBaa can beat 8.5% over the next few years? What leads you to these beliefs? Do you believe I can?

Membaa

Beat them? You can smash them! Set Kiwisaver to pure cash, put in $1,024 every year in June, and the government gives you $512, for a 50% return.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 08-05-2023 at 01:19 PM.

I like the idea of 100% allocation to Berkshire. But the fee though. I'm going to think about it for abit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunecookie View Post
    I like the idea of 100% allocation to Berkshire. But the fee though. I'm going to think about it for abit.

But any alternative has the same fees?

Successful for who? You're just taking about number of participants. That means nothing.

Agree, craigs is awful but my only option at present.

You don't believe Mav or BaaBaa can beat 8.5% over the next few years? What leads you to these beliefs? Do you believe I can?
    i asked you if you can but you didnt answer , so i guess thats a no.

of course we are talking about you the individual not you investing in berkshire as that is in effect just like giving your money to a fund manager
    one step ahead of the herd

But any alternative has the same fees?
    I am currently with simplicity. Their fees are much lower given it's just an index fund.
    They have just introduced high growth (i am currently on growth).
    I would prefer just to assign my whole ks balance to berkshire. Anyway I am going to think about it.

Wow - that is an absolutely genius idea!

I was forced into Kiwisaver and used Craigs as I can pick stocks for myself and went 100% BRK,