sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Thanks for your insights Snoopy, much appreciated. I understand the liquidity concept, my dilemma is that there are a number of stocks in my portfolio that I've not exited (at a tidy profit) and then subsequently regretted due to a decline in the share price - don't want SCT to be another to be in this category!!
    Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. Prices change every day, you can check what is happening every day on the market. But value is changing every day as well, it is just not so easy to see. How does all this relate to your post?

I will tell you my own SCT sad story, (which isn't really that sad). In January 2023 I bought a small parcel of SCT shares to add to my hoard priced at $2,50. As soon as I got the contract note I had 'buyers regret'. Why? Becasue seven years earlier in 2016 I had sold exactly the same number of shares for $2.10. How stupid I felt! There I was back in 2016 selling those SCT shares (albeit for a profit), and now -seven years later,- I was having to pay more money to buy those same shares back at a higher price. I would have been much better not to have done either transaction, (as I had also missed out on all of those dividends along the way), and just kept the original shares!

But then I thought again.......

When I sold in 2016, JBS had only just come on board. The European packaging side of the business, which turns over almost half the company';s revenue had not been bought. Neither had the AGV business in the USA - Transbotics. And Robotworx, now a discontinued operation was still the star turn in the USA. IOW what shares I bought in 2023 belonged to a very different business than that represented by the shares I sold in 2016.

I suspect a similar dilemma may be being faced by you Mel. Namely that the shares you did not sell 'back then' are approaching the price you didn't sell for 'back then' right now. The factor you have to consider is that the value of the company has changed over time. So the decision to sell today should be made when 'price today' exceeds 'value today'. "Price yesterday;' is just an historical figure based on 'value yesterday' which is also historical. Those two latter figures are best forgotten, even though it is psychologically hard to do so.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 19-06-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: value the company -> value of the company
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7