sharetrader
Page 789 of 846 FirstFirst ... 289689739779785786787788789790791792793799839 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,890 of 8460

Quote Originally Posted by Jonette View Post
    Lets look at facts;
    Turners say they have 7% of the market and they currently hold 5% of market inventory (about 3500 cars) while 2CC hold just 500 cars.

Lets also put some actual numbers to this using inventory of cars today
    NZ Market; 3.4% EVs 2418/71218
    Turners; 2.8% or 101/3636
    2CC; 3.7% or 21/574

BTW, 3.4% market inventory should be termed "few on hand". Turners need ~120 vehicles to match the market while 2CC need just 16, they have 21, so 5 EVs are very few cars to change the stats.

2CC have recently increased their total inventory from 430 just 2 weeks ago to 574 today, so may have taken a new delivery of 21 EVs, ie their numbers are too small to be reliable for a detailed comparison.

This shows no significant difference between the NZ market, Turners or 2CC
    Turners strategy is to buy their cars in NZ from fleet/rental sales and from the public (thanks Tina). TRA's size and scale give them an advantage here. Kiwis prefer NZ new cars so this has been a successful strategy and worked even better over COVID when importing and travel was expensive and difficult.

2CC strategy is to source their cars in Japan and import them. 2CC have built up their own operation both in Japan and at the port to select, buy, import and process these cars as efficiently as possible. 2CC's co-founder is Japanese which obviously is an advantage.

Both are good strategies that work best at different times.

As Todd says a very small % of NZ's car fleet is electric so Turners naturally have very few cars to choose from. This will improve in 3-5 years time.

In the meantime, 2CC EV sales is already over 50% of that 574 car stock, say 300 cars. This will continue to increase until competitors both fellow importers and those reliant on NZ sourced cars catch-up.

The government's July 1 EV subsidy change provides rocket fuel to the 2CC strategy and is a headwind for Turners. Why not get a 3.5k discount off a second hand car?

A quick look at the cars for sale on both companies websites confirms 2CC sourcing strategy is winning for the most in-demand market segments (EVs and Hybrids) and likely will continue to do so for 1-3 years.

Guru

What is going to happen to all those petrol engine cars in the next 1o years? The crusher?

what is the life cycle of a petrol or DS car in the next decade? Not a car expert. Got 3 push bikes... and all in this tribe have push bikes...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzing View Post
    What is going to happen to all those petrol engine cars in the next 1o years? The crusher?

what is the life cycle of a petrol or DS car in the next decade? Not a car expert. Got 3 push bikes... and all in this tribe have push bikes...
    I really don’t want an electric car due to personal reasons. I don’t believe I’ll be the only one. I won’t be one without a petrol car unless the government make it impossible to own one. I will be one person sourcing a combustion engine car for the next 20 years.
    Last edited by Ggcc; 31-07-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I really don’t want an electric car due to personal reasons. I don’t believe I’ll be the only one. I won’t be one without a petrol car unless the government make it impossible to own one. I will be one person sourcing a combustion engine car for the next 20 years.
    Ford's EV strategy didn't go to plan. So they are diverting to a hybrid strategy. Personally I blame it on the mustang that looks like a homer mobile. On a serious note, extra weight severely impacts the range. So the E150 can't be considered a serious work ute unless people are assured of the range.

Guru

Oh, Hybrid is therefore the big mover in the Car and UTE category?

Some country's have already introduced or are looking to float the idea of only EV by such and such a date. This likely to be a failed approach then? And the hybrid likely to be the goto for the next decade and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzing View Post
    Oh, Hybrid is therefore the big mover in the Car and UTE category?

Some country's have already introduced or are looking to float the idea of only EV by such and such a date. This likely to be a failed approach then? And the hybrid likely to be the goto for the next decade and more...
    Don't know what the future holds. Just observing what has recently happened to Ford. Perhaps hybrid is a stop gap measure until EV technology is more robust.

Personally I would like to see a world moving away from fossil fuels. But the difficult thing is how much of a compromise to cost, benefits, productivity, lifestyle etc are we prepared to accept. I say it is difficult. The EU have convinced themselves gas is a green fuel and we saw what happened when it was switched off. The choice between order and anarchy. Each country has the same dilemma. Note Sweden has backtracked on their climate strategy. Apologies I am going on a tangent but it feels like a prisoner's dilemma amongst nations.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    There are always a few troglodytes, with all new technologies. That’s life

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Surely you mean Luddites, I thought.
    But I looked them both up and Troglodytes works well.
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It will be nice to see some actual new technology in this sector.

Idea of the week - Turners should license Tina to the National Party for election advertisements - no change of clothing required, just the logo.

"You know what I like - Votes Votes Votes "

Would be brilliant!