sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

It's not a bad thing, I mean we are in a climate emergency and have a planet that is literally boiling. We also learnt, during lockdowns, that we dont actually need tourists coming here. My friends in Wellington, who were working from home in their slippers and for some reason still are, told me the economy thrived without Internantional visitors.

It really made me think. I always thought for years that tourism was important and our second biggest foreign exchange earner. Turns out I was wrong. It's a nice to have (I guess) but ultimately, unimportant.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 20-08-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Fonterra shutting down dryers across the Waikato due to lack of supply. Staff either relocated or taking redundancy. It's not all rose's everywhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    It's not a bad thing, I mean we are in a climate emergency and have a planet that is literally boiling. We also learnt, during lockdowns, that we dont actually need tourists coming here. My friends in Wellington, who were working from home in their slippers and for some reason still are, told me the economy thrived without Internantional visitors.

It really made me think. I always thought for years that tourism was important and our second biggest foreign exchange earner. Turns out I was wrong. It's a nice to have (I guess) but ultimately, unimportant.

Not just literally boiling, large parts of it are in fact vaporising.

Literally vaporising.

Some of the vapor is superheating. Literally.

Banned

we are in a climate emergency
    That's what you're told to think, but it's complete nonsense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    That's what you're told to think, but it's complete nonsense.
    The fact that they wrote that is just incredible. So lucky to be competing against these people in the market.

Literally boiling!!!!!

Hope Americans and Chinese will pick NZ as their one of travel destinations. I heard mass tourism is destroying the planet. I like sustainable tourism. Recently, I had some meals in few restaurants. I didn’t see any empty seats. Best part is even younger crowd has purchasing power like top traders. Now I confirm recession is far away. In the mean time some of my stocks are beating world markets. I also heard somebody is saying always there is a bull market somewhere. I agree with it. As long as I see value and strong balance sheet, I am not hesitate to invest in quality companies. I will avoid high leveraged companies with mountain of debt.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/10/chin...el-stocks.html

China lifts ban on group travel to more than 70 locations, giving a boost to travel stocks

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/03/inte...rates-lag.html

Americans are going abroad in droves — at the expense of domestic travel

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...onal-visitors/

Tourism sector recovery in New Zealand

Forecasts show that the international tourism expenditure in New Zealand is expected to increase steadily between 2022 and 2025, recovering from low tourism expenditure, attributed to a sharp decline in visitor numbers, due to border closures and travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...0b22bc9f683f0c

Amsterdam wants to change its image and its telling unruly tourists to stay away

Bali isn’t the only tourist hotspot making moves to change its image and discourage unruly travellers from visiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Some commentators have said we've had peak travel and travel demand is declining

Even Ryanair sounded a bit gloomy the other day
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 20-08-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Gee, do I really have to put a "sarcastic" footnote on my posts. I thought the word "literally" was the give away. I'll work on my style some more.

Or are you guys just playing along?

Gee, do I really have to put a "sarcastic" footnote on my posts. I thought the word "literally" was the give away. I'll work on my style some more.

Or are you guys just playing along?
    Honestly there are people out there that think that way. I couldn't tell your post was satire.

Thats true. There really is.

Although I did add some flavour about public servants with no skin in the game telling us our economy is thriving in lockdown.

Still, I must do better. The need to explain means I have failed!
    Last edited by Bobdn; 20-08-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Not just literally boiling, large parts of it are in fact vaporising.

Literally vaporising.

Some of the vapor is superheating. Literally.
    Climate change denial sr. That's pretty brave in today's world. Make no mistake about it change has been massive. The oceans have risen over 400ft already.