sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    It's a score. There's no need to discuss anything. What's the share price of Nvidia? What will it be when they demolish the next quarter? What will it be in one year's time? etc
    You do realise that as a result of their large multiple expansion this year they are far more likely to experience multiple contraction next year? It's called mean reversion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    You do realise that as a result of their large multiple expansion this year they are far more likely to experience multiple contraction next year? It's called mean reversion.
    You can say what you want; let's see Nvidia's next quarterly numbers. And the quarterly after that... The spend on A.I. is unreal, and Nvidia controls the market. I haven't seen anything like this ever actually - the closest is Steve Jobs turning Apple into the biggest company in the world, but even that is in the shade as to what's happening with the first generation build-out of A.I.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Your posts make me want to short NVDA out of spite.

I won't because I don't think it's good practice but still it's hard to believe there are buyers of stock out there that throw business fundamentals out the window in favour of "watching the market work its magic".
    You'd be doing pretty well shorting Nvidia earlier this month, down about 25% from nose bleed highs. Check out the longer dated options for insights into what the market really thinks. Too far too fast? Market thinks so at the moment.

But this is a confusing conversation between someone who views the share price as value and success, and someone who views long term returns at the right price as success.

Answer to inflation, possible deflation or recession is to stay with strong balance sheet companies if we have bought them at attractive prices or are planning to buy in market sell-off or market weakness.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...-recession.asp

“Conversely, investors who want to survive and thrive during a recession will invest in high-quality companies that have strong balance sheets, low debt, good cash flow, and are in industries that historically do well during tough economic times.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    You'd be doing pretty well shorting Nvidia earlier this month, down about 25% from nose bleed highs. Check out the longer dated options for insights into what the market really thinks. Too far too fast? Market thinks so at the moment.

But this is a confusing conversation between someone who views the share price as value and success, and someone who views long term returns at the right price as success.
    Baa_Baa, do you have ANY clue as to what Nvidia did last quarter? You must have read the quarterly numbers, surely, for you to be so enthused with the idea of shorting the world's number one stock.

And Share Price is Long Term Returns. The two things go together. There's a dangerous fantasy on these boards that somehow "value" - ie that person's subjective idea of what a company should be worth - is divorced from how the market actually values companies.
    Last edited by Azz; 27-09-2023 at 07:43 PM.

Membaa

Baa_Baa, do you have ANY clue as to what Nvidia did last quarter?
    Yes, I do and for two thirds of last three months the market drove up the price 100's of percent. But this month, it's down about 25%. Holding would have ignored all the screaming TA to take profits and get out.

You must have read the quarterly numbers, surely,
    Yes, very impressive. The market rewarded that, but then ditto above.

for you to be so enthused with the idea of shorting the world's number one stock.
    Who said I was enthused? You have a habit of putting words in people mouths. I suggested that a savvy trader would have read the tape and got out, or gone short a few weeks ago, and so far they're right and making bank.

Thanks Value.I agree its been many decades since we have experienced a financial conflagration...cheers,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Yes, I do and for two thirds of last three months the market drove up the price 100's of percent. But this month, it's down about 25%. Holding would have ignored all the screaming TA to take profits and get out.

Yes, very impressive. The market rewarded that, but then ditto above.

Who said I was enthused? You have a habit of putting words in people mouths. I suggested that a savvy trader would have read the tape and got out, or gone short a few weeks ago, and so far they're right and making bank.
    I'm not a trader.

I'm long-term hold for Nvidia. I'm well in the money. They also pay a dividend.

You've got no clue what's happening in the world. A.I. is not "ChatGPT"; it's the rearrangement of "skills" from human to datacenter plug in, and the savings are immense - and who's providing it? Who is the number one company in the number one industry? Is it some retirement home operator in New Zealand? That's the level of creativity on these boards by the big mouths who attack success. I spent some time recently looking at the retirement operators in this country, outcome: bunch of thieves, trouble ahead for that industry. The point I'm making is we here in this country can invest easily now in US companies. Why are you so angry about me early investing in the world's number one stock? And I told these boards too. I know A.I., I know tech, and I know the markets.

You sound like one of those idiots who parroted the same nonsense about Apple years ago.

You're literally saying "one good quarter, so what", for the leading company within an industry that is growing exponentially. And this garbage about "PE" lol, that gets thrown out the window doesn't it when the "E" goes up.