I think it depends on where they are in their study (just starting out or almost finished), and what their plans are for when they graduate. If students intend to find a job in ChCh once they graduate, they may well consider registering for and voting in their local electorate, rather than Mum and Dad’s.

I am not saying it is a given, but I think it is very interesting to hear that at least some students are looking at alternatives to the status quo parties. We often underestimate our young people, and we should not. Even if you are right and students vote in Mum and Dad’s electorate, they can still give their party vote to TOP or whichever other minor party they choose to. So while Raf may not get their electorate vote, TOP may do.

Gotta start somewhere if we want genuine change, not just the BS “change” current parties are touting.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
How many students do you think change and register their address in a student flat ? None of my 4 children did during their uni days nor did many of their friends as I know they were voting in their "home" electorates. But if you think the Chch uni students all registered as voters in Ilam and will vote mainly for TOP, then you can believe that. I don't.