sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    I know Buffett's magic formula. But I won't mention it [again] because I don't want to upset Sailor and his delicate nature.
    yes i know it too lol thats why i have acheived double digit returns for so long and sorry but oca is not on my buy list. i value my peso's
    one step ahead of the herd

That's not Buffett's magic formula, that you're talking about. That's his myth-making formula. The actual magic formula is somewhat distasteful when put alongside the publicized myth. But yeh I won't say any more, I don't wish for Sailor to accidently drive his boat into a container ship or something as he scrambles to defend Mr Buffett.
    too put everyone out of there miserie about buffetts magic formula it is never lose money

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    too put everyone out of there miserie about buffetts magic formula it is never lose money
    Out of our what sorry?

Guru

That's not Buffett's magic formula, that you're talking about. That's his myth-making formula. The actual magic formula is somewhat distasteful when put alongside the publicized myth. But yeh I won't say any more, I don't wish for Sailor to accidently drive his boat into a container ship or something as he scrambles to defend Mr Buffett.
    Everyone combined on share trader wouldn't know a tenth of what I do about Berkshire and Buffett, so happy to discuss. I might agree even.

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

...I don't wish for Sailor to accidently drive his boat into a container ship or something as he scrambles to defend Mr Buffett.
    Honestly just snorted in my coffee on that one....that's funny!

First of all, there are two separate things here.

1) Berkshire has been a wonderful investment for a very long time. I have no issue with this at all; I mean, the Buffett "magic formula" is the reason for this success, and that is to be commended as it has provided very good - and consistent - shareholder return. But that magic formula is something only the very rich can utilize. And Buffett has deliberately implied over decades that he's just a "value" investor - and it's total BS, let's get to point 2).

2) Berkshire and Buffett have for decades had the ability to gerrymander share purchases via two mechanisms not available to regular investors. They are buying preferred stock and placing cronies onto boards. He reduces risk significantly by moving up the queue with preferred stock if there's a problem with a company he has bought into, and the board representation significantly reduces the possibility of problems arising is the first place. Neither of these things are available to your average punter, such as the deluded "value"-type investors you see on this website, who believe that "future discounted blah blah blah" means they're onto a winner and given enough time and patience they'll be in the money. But it's a fantasy; they have no clue what's going on at the company and are subject to the whims of market price for their shares which will likely have value nothing close to whatever fantasy-land value they think it should be. And the common stock they own means when it does go very bad they'll have a pile of shares worth zero.
    Hey Azz do you have some evidence to substantiate your claim regarding Berkshire placing cronies on boards, and are you saying that regular investors cannot own preferred stock?

Also what is meant by Buffetts magic formula? I've read many of Buffetts shareholder letters and listened to Berkshires annual meetings have never heard of some magic formula that he has used.

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Hey Azz do you have some evidence to substantiate your claim regarding Berkshire placing cronies on boards, and are you saying that regular investors cannot own preferred stock?

Also what is meant by Buffetts magic formula? I've read many of Buffetts shareholder letters and listened to Berkshires annual meetings have never heard of some magic formula that he has used.
    i think buffett just modified ben graham's magic formula and that's what lead to it being called buffett's magic formula.

im assuming you applied this magic formula to your investment in OCA ?
    Last edited by bull....; 11-12-2023 at 02:10 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i think buffett just modified ben graham's magic formula and that's what lead to it being called buffett's magic formula.

im assuming you applied this magic formula to your investment in OCA ?
    As per ValueNZ, I've spent over (way over) 3000 hours studying Berkshire and Buffett, I have never heard of this formula.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    As per ValueNZ, I've spent over (way over) 3000 hours studying Berkshire and Buffett, I have never heard of this formula.
    you need to do some research on ben graham valuation method's. he had some key method's

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Geez Sailor you a slow learner or something? You didnt need to spend that long surely