sharetrader

I think a simple, courteous thing to do is provide a disclaimer when ctrl + c, ctrl + v from AI.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of what Oceania put out is from ‘online assistant’ anyway …if not they use ctrl + c and ctrl + v a lot
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of what Oceania put out is from ‘online assistant’ anyway …if not they use ctrl + c and ctrl + v a lot
    All these tools do is augment the work you are doing, not replace the work.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Wait a minute... are you guys actually serious?

[...]
    And rather than consider the very real challenges I have been able to outline after going through the last report... your takeaway is that I have used an online assistant to streamline my thinking as a reason to disregard it? [snip]
    Not sure how you could leap to that conclusion, or that 'we' don't use AI, it's just that we don't pretend it's our own work, without attribution. There's truckloads of AI PDF summarisers, and they ALL give a different answer.

https://smallpdf.com/ai-pdf#r=app

Who are the top 10 insider shareholders?
    Top 10 Insider Shareholders:
    Elizabeth Coutts: 1,902,507 shares
    Alan Isaac: 311,389 shares
    Dame Kerry Prendergast: 361,297 shares
    Sally Evans: 143,584 shares
    Gregory Tomlinson: 27,882,244 shares
    Robert Hamilton: 40,500 shares
    Peter Dufaur: 77,169 shares

What are the key concerns, challenges and risks?
    Key Concerns, Challenges, and Risks:
    • Climate Resilience: Addressing climate risks and opportunities, especially in the context of the building and construction sector.
    • Interest Rate Risk: Monitoring and managing cash flow and interest rate risks associated with long-term borrowings.
    • Material Impacts: Evaluating and prioritizing actual and potential impacts on the environment, society, and economy, including human rights.
    • Sustainable Practices: Ensuring sustainable procurement choices and supply chain practices to minimize environmental and social impacts.
    • Regulatory Compliance: Understanding and adhering to the regulatory environment to ensure sustainable custodianship of assets and benefit to customers

What are the key highlights, positives, potential?
    Key Highlights, Positives, and Potential:
    • Financial Performance: Achieving a total asset value of $2.5bn as of March 2023, indicating growth and financial stability.
    • Operational Excellence: Completing 233 units and care suites in FY2023, demonstrating efficiency in project delivery.
    • Sustainability Initiatives: Increasing green building ambition, measuring greenhouse gas emissions, and linking sustainability performance to remuneration.
    • Resident Experience: Focusing on delighting residents with hospitality-inspired services and leading in resident experience delivery.
    • Strategic Pillars: Aligning business goals with strategic pillars of Offer, Resident Experience, People Capability, and Growth for sustainable growth and value creation.

What is the one single most significant thing that I should be most concerned about as a shareholder?
    Most Significant Concern for Shareholders:
    • Existence of Significant Estimation Uncertainty: The audit highlighted the importance of the existence of significant estimation uncertainty, especially in property assumptions, which could lead to material differences. Shareholders should closely monitor and understand how these estimations impact financial decisions and performance.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Potential Risks and Challenges:
    • Market Volatility: Fluctuations in the property market could impact asset values and investment returns.
    • Regulatory Changes: Shifts in regulations or policies could affect operations and profitability.
    • Interest Rate Fluctuations: Changes in interest rates may impact borrowing costs and financial stability.
    • Natural Disasters: Weather events or natural disasters could disrupt operations and infrastructure.
    • Competition: Increased competition in the sector may affect market share and profitability.

What could possibly go right?
    Potential Positive Outcomes:
    • Strategic Growth: Successful implementation of growth strategies could lead to increased market share and profitability.
    • Sustainable Practices: Embracing sustainable practices may enhance reputation and attract environmentally conscious investors.
    • Innovation: Investing in innovative technologies and practices could improve operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
    • Market Expansion: Expansion into new markets or sectors may diversify revenue streams and drive growth.
    • Resilience: Building resilience to external factors like climate change and regulatory changes could ensure long-term sustainability and success.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Not sure how you could leap to that conclusion, or that 'we' don't use AI, it's just that we don't pretend it's our own work, without attribution. There's truckloads of AI PDF summarisers, and they ALL give a different answer.

https://smallpdf.com/ai-pdf#r=app

Who are the top 10 insider shareholders?
    Top 10 Insider Shareholders:
    Elizabeth Coutts: 1,902,507 shares
    Alan Isaac: 311,389 shares
    Dame Kerry Prendergast: 361,297 shares
    Sally Evans: 143,584 shares
    Gregory Tomlinson: 27,882,244 shares
    Robert Hamilton: 40,500 shares
    Peter Dufaur: 77,169 shares

What are the key concerns, challenges and risks?
    Key Concerns, Challenges, and Risks:
    • Climate Resilience: Addressing climate risks and opportunities, especially in the context of the building and construction sector.
    • Interest Rate Risk: Monitoring and managing cash flow and interest rate risks associated with long-term borrowings.
    • Material Impacts: Evaluating and prioritizing actual and potential impacts on the environment, society, and economy, including human rights.
    • Sustainable Practices: Ensuring sustainable procurement choices and supply chain practices to minimize environmental and social impacts.
    • Regulatory Compliance: Understanding and adhering to the regulatory environment to ensure sustainable custodianship of assets and benefit to customers

What are the key highlights, positives, potential?
    Key Highlights, Positives, and Potential:
    • Financial Performance: Achieving a total asset value of $2.5bn as of March 2023, indicating growth and financial stability.
    • Operational Excellence: Completing 233 units and care suites in FY2023, demonstrating efficiency in project delivery.
    • Sustainability Initiatives: Increasing green building ambition, measuring greenhouse gas emissions, and linking sustainability performance to remuneration.
    • Resident Experience: Focusing on delighting residents with hospitality-inspired services and leading in resident experience delivery.
    • Strategic Pillars: Aligning business goals with strategic pillars of Offer, Resident Experience, People Capability, and Growth for sustainable growth and value creation.

What is the one single most significant thing that I should be most concerned about as a shareholder?
    Most Significant Concern for Shareholders:
    • Existence of Significant Estimation Uncertainty: The audit highlighted the importance of the existence of significant estimation uncertainty, especially in property assumptions, which could lead to material differences. Shareholders should closely monitor and understand how these estimations impact financial decisions and performance.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Potential Risks and Challenges:
    • Market Volatility: Fluctuations in the property market could impact asset values and investment returns.
    • Regulatory Changes: Shifts in regulations or policies could affect operations and profitability.
    • Interest Rate Fluctuations: Changes in interest rates may impact borrowing costs and financial stability.
    • Natural Disasters: Weather events or natural disasters could disrupt operations and infrastructure.
    • Competition: Increased competition in the sector may affect market share and profitability.

What could possibly go right?
    Potential Positive Outcomes:
    • Strategic Growth: Successful implementation of growth strategies could lead to increased market share and profitability.
    • Sustainable Practices: Embracing sustainable practices may enhance reputation and attract environmentally conscious investors.
    • Innovation: Investing in innovative technologies and practices could improve operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
    • Market Expansion: Expansion into new markets or sectors may diversify revenue streams and drive growth.
    • Resilience: Building resilience to external factors like climate change and regulatory changes could ensure long-term sustainability and success.
    That is a cool tool.

I went back and added a disclaimer as per the suggestion by thegreatestben to avoid issues and will do so in the future.

I misunderstood and thought you took issue with the AI/assistants/pdf readers.

These days I don't think twice about it. At work my productivity has gone way up.

Just today I was working on a document (that has been growing and growing for the last week or so)...I felt that it was rambling on and on but was struggling to figure out how to cut it back. Got my handy online assistant to read it and make suggestions and Christ Almighty, the version it spat out was so much better than my waffle fest.

Wonder what the output would be if the downloaded printable version of this thread was feed into one of those tools

Anybody game to try
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Wonder what the output would be if the downloaded printable version of this thread was feed into one of those tools

Anybody game to try

Sure, GPT-4 provides this when asked for an overall summary of the report I attached. As you will see it does not replace the human component in doing research but it augments it and can help you focus if you use it well.

The Oceania Annual Report for the year ending 31 March 2023 provides a comprehensive overview of the company's financial and operational performance, alongside its strategic objectives and sustainability efforts. Key highlights from the report include:

- **Positioning for Future Growth**: Despite facing economic challenges, labor shortages, and severe weather events, Oceania has demonstrated resilience and strength, delivering solid financial performance. The company saw an increase in its Unaudited Underlying EBITDA to $80.0m, up 5% from the previous period, and total assets increased to $2.5b. This growth is attributed to the maturity of their portfolio, increased deferred management fee (DMF), resale gains, and ongoing development across 11 sites.

- **Focus on Care and Village Strategy**: Oceania continues to be a leader in providing high-quality residential care services, investing heavily in the care suite model to maintain attractive returns on capital. The company is innovating in care models, including the introduction of a fully privately funded care center. They are also focusing on developing independent living villas as part of their strategy to maintain a strong development and sales pipeline.

- **Sustainability Efforts**: Oceania is committed to sustainability, with goals related to environmental impact reduction, resident wellbeing, employment practices, and governance ethics. The report outlines their updated Sustainability Framework for 2023-2030, focusing on integrating sustainability into their strategy and growth initiatives.

- **Weather Event Recovery**: The report provides a detailed account of Oceania's response to unprecedented weather events in the North Island in early 2023, showcasing their efforts to support residents and staff during these challenging times.

- **Financial Performance**: The financial highlights section indicates that Oceania's total assets were valued at $2.5bn, with a total comprehensive income of $34.5m for the year ended 31 March 2023. The report details the operational, developmental, and financial achievements over the year, including securing resource consents for new units and care suites and the completion of several units and care suites across various locations.

- **Strategic Capital Management**: Oceania focuses on optimizing its capital structure and management to support growth and value creation, including reviewing its portfolio for optimal capital allocation and recycling cash within the business.

The report concludes with a forward-looking perspective, emphasizing Oceania's commitment to improving the resident experience, capital management, sustainability, and positioning itself for future growth. It reflects on the challenges faced during the year, including the impact of weather events and economic pressures, while highlighting the company's resilience and strategic responses to these challenges.

Guru

When I asked what is the single biggest problem facing OCA:

The single most significant problem facing Oceania, as detailed in their Annual Report for the year ending 31 March 2023, arises from a confluence of challenges, including a decelerating residential property market, labour shortages, and severe weather events.

Among these challenges, labour shortages have been particularly pronounced and are highlighted as a substantial issue, notably impacting the provision of high-quality residential care services. This labour shortage has been exacerbated by closed borders, confusion regarding immigration policies, and wages that are not competitive on an international scale, particularly affecting the recruitment of clinical staff. This issue critically impacts Oceania's capacity to sustain the high level of care and service that forms the core of its operational ethos and model.

All great stuff, and when you then read through key parts of the document and add that to your knowledge of the NZ economic issues as a whole... I think the interest rates/residential real estate market as well as the labour shortage are going to be big ongoing issues for the sector as a whole.

The place where AI mines the vast majority of its content is, of course, the Internet. But as more and more of the Internet is AI-created content, it’s basically cannibalizing itself.......leading to what some call "model collapse"

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Wait a minute... are you guys actually serious?

We are all waiting for the next report to come out... and all we have to go on is the last report as well as general commentary in the media about the state of the economy...

And rather than consider the very real challenges I have been able to outline after going through the last report... your takeaway is that I have used an online assistant to streamline my thinking as a reason to disregard it?

You guys need to wake up - a lot of other people who you are competing with are using all sorts of technologies to augment their research techniques.

If you have anything to say about the areas of concern I have raised (which the market as a whole appears to agree with) I would be keen to learn about that.

If not - then put a sock in it
    Well said.