sharetrader
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

Mick, IIRC you know your cows. When you say the cows in the video were in 'poor condition' would you care to expand on that? Do you just mean too much skin and bone showing? I am wondering if the condition might be a more a function of the breed of cow, rather than the weather or feeding program. In the previous NZS video, mention was made of a breeding program with artificial insemination from NZ bulls to try and improve the stock.

SNOOPY
    Yes snoopy , cow condition refers to "skin and bones showing" - to be more presice, you look across the top of the cow's back to see how much fat cover their is along the back bone, hip bones and small ribs

I doubt whether genetics is the cause of the problem. Cows with poor genetics tend to maintain their condition better because they don't milk as hard -(I'm assuming that the genetics of uruguayan cows are not as good as NZ cows) I think a likely cause maybe that the farms are all new pasture which is growing very fast in spring and is very low in dry matter (around 10&#37 Sometimes when the pasture is very low in dry matter the cows can't eat enough to milk as well as maintain their condition. In these circumstances they should be fed supplements which are far higher in dry matter than grass.

I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow's video to see if cow condition has improved
    Last edited by Mick100; 27-05-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    He who lives by the crystal ball soon learns to eat ground glass. (Edgar Fiedler)

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Toulouse - Luzern View Post
    NZFSUL has popped up on my radar.

Up 2.20% yesterday to 190 trade value $3,581,560 fro 1,896,002 shares in 13 trades = $275,505 per trade on an up day
    A significant correction has occurred with NZS over the last few days, closing today at $1.56. I overheard a news item today on the radio that said that dairy prices (milk, cheese) have tanked. That would explain the share price decline. Although it must be said, NZS has always budgeted on dairy prices declining in the medium term.

If anyone could give me a web reference where I can keep tabs on dairy prices, that would be appreciated.

TIA

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Default Capital raising possibility

Snop dog mon,
    I also think that investors have sold down after the company announced that "it is likely to undertake a further capital raising within the next few months", in its recent annual result announcement mon.

Default Dairy prices website

Snop dog mon,
    I use this website mon:
    http://www.saleyards.co.nz/trends/da...iry_trends.php

WMP prices have collapsed over US1000/t in the last 5 weeks .... a mind-numbing drop only made a little less scary by the fall in the NZD !! Scary stuff for anyone who bought a dairy farm in the last few months.

I have had 6 uri guys working for us this season. Suposedly already pre-trained by pggwr .Well all I can say is I wont be investing.

Quote Originally Posted by micket View Post
    I have had 6 uri guys working for us this season. Suposedly already pre-trained by pggwr .Well all I can say is I wont be investing.
    Please tell us more.

The updates from Farming Systems Uruguay are uniformly full of the superior business and farming model of PPG. Is this not so?

Advanced Member

Default Garbage From Granny Herald

"NZS was punished by investors yesterday after it surprised the market with a gloomy profit forecast".

What twaddle. The market has been selling NZS down hard - the stock has been in a downtrend for over 6 months. Yesterday's drop was merely a continuation of the pre-existing steep, clearly defined, accelerating downtrend.

Longterm "Buy and Hold"/"value" investors made good profits on this stock - then gave them all back to the market through inaction. By ignoring market sentiment they will have turned a 30% gain into a 60% loss.

Norgate does, however, assure us that "the fundamentals are absolutely on track".

Doesn't that make you feel a lot better? Remember, too, that these are only paper losses, so they don't really count.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    What I am saying is if i buy a commercial building to rent out in NZ i can expect a return on capital between 6% to 8% in rent plus a capital gain when i sell. If I buy a farm in any country in this world take your pick [excuse the pun]I can only expect a 3pc return on capital if i run it myself plus a capital gain when i sell.
    To place managers in and run it like a company is a fools investment.
    Thats only my opinion having been around farms in quite a few different countries. The investors coming into this will be city people i cant see any practical farmers investing in this. macdunk
    Thats what i said at the start thats what i still think now. its only people investing in something that they have no understanding about. When you do that you should always have a finger on the sell now button. Norgate played the market on the rise now he finds he is caught out with to much debt at a time when debt is something to avoid. Macdunk

Arrow Disaster

BRICKS said some where before if you can't speak the language don't go there
    as i travel a lot boy you will cope a CANNING.. and in this case NZS HAS..