sharetrader

Hybrid View

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    I just want.... a stop loss I know will help ME from selling too early.
    Ollie, Ollie, Ollie. Pay attention! That's not what they are for and not what they do!!!!!

A STOP LOSS is to stop you holding on to a stock that makes a significant fall after you have bought. If this condition is met, its aim is to make you sell early.

A TRAILING STOP trails behind a rising stockprice. Its aim is to lock in profits in the event of the price making a significant fall. If this condition is met, its purpose is to make you sell before you give all your profits back to the market.

The best way to avoid selling too early is to use Trend indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Ollie, Ollie, Ollie. Pay attention! That's not what they are for and not what they do!!!!!
    Can't you just see Phaedrus in the front of a classroom, long ruler in hand, whacking it repeatedly on the desk in frustration?

Reminds me of a teacher I once knew a long, long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by wbosher View Post
    Can't you just see Phaedrus in the front of a classroom, long ruler in hand, whacking it repeatedly on the desk in frustration? ......
    I've made many many mistakes, some of them biggies, but thank goodness for Phaedrus waving that metaphorical TA stick occasionally!!
    I'm learning fast Phaedrus, rather be whacked by your Techie stick than get whacked even harder by that brutal Mr Market. Please don't give up on us just because of some embarrassed yelps.

I agree. I have hinted (or actually said quite plainly) that Phaedrus should write a book. There are in fact several very helpful people on this forum that are willing to offer useful advice.

I'm glad I found this site!!