sharetrader

Hybrid View

Thanks for the suggestion of Smart Group and HWI.

Shasta, regarding the company, the shareholders are myself and another NZer. I guess we are both based overseas, but retain ties to NZ - i.e. visiting regularly, have property in NZ, doing business with NZ companies, etc.). So far as our NZ tax residency goes I guess you could argue it both ways.

During my previous stint living overseas I stopped being a NZ tax resident. Then I took up tax residency again when I spent time back in NZ. Currently I suppose my tax residency is debatable. However, for simplicity maybe it is best to just be a tax resident, even though I spend little time in NZ.

There is a third NZer involved who is not actually a shareholder and not involved in all projects.
    NGE, NWE, STX

Quote Originally Posted by seaosh View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion of Smart Group and HWI.

Shasta, regarding the company, the shareholders are myself and another NZer. I guess we are both based overseas, but retain ties to NZ - i.e. visiting regularly, have property in NZ, doing business with NZ companies, etc.). So far as our NZ tax residency goes I guess you could argue it both ways.

During my previous stint living overseas I stopped being a NZ tax resident. Then I took up tax residency again when I spent time back in NZ. Currently I suppose my tax residency is debatable. However, for simplicity maybe it is best to just be a tax resident, even though I spend little time in NZ.

There is a third NZer involved who is not actually a shareholder and not involved in all projects.
    You certainly would meet the criteria for being a NZ resident for tax purposes then, which means income from overseas has to be declared on your NZ tax return.

I'd be talking to an accounting firm who deal with smaller - medium sized clients & see what benefits they can come up with taking into account your situation.

If you are trading as a sole trader (employment, shares & property) & have the shares in the company in your own name, there are some liability issues to look into.

I'd be wanting to set up a holding company to own the shares in the NZ registered company & to be the funding"mechanism" from you, & perhaps an LAQC company to trade shares & property with, to avoid having too much exposure yourself personally.

I presume you fund all these ventures personally, ie in your own name?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    & perhaps an LAQC company to trade shares & property with, to avoid having too much exposure yourself personally.
    LAQC's are going the way of the dodo (effective 1/4/11). Consider the new LTC.

I personal like trusts for holding wealth. Use a corporate trustee though. Just purchased 50% of a company, two trusts involved with the refinance and both had one trustee that needed individual legal advice (costly).
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    LAQC's are going the way of the dodo (effective 1/4/11). Consider the new LTC.

I personal like trusts for holding wealth. Use a corporate trustee though. Just purchased 50% of a company, two trusts involved with the refinance and both had one trustee that needed individual legal advice (costly).
    Thanks again CJ, im showing my ignorance of being out of the loop with the tax changes, gee ya take a year off & the changes are immense