sharetrader
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

However I still hold a miniscule quantity of Bridgevale Mining shares I bought in the dark ages which became Bridgecorp which became dust. A good example of not buying to hold however when the brokerage is greater than the sale price it makes things difficult to unload. Then along comes receivership...

Advanced Member

Biggest problem i find with buy and hold is the good companies being sold off. Often way too cheaply.
    Im still peeved off that Frucor was allowed to go at a ridiculous price . Would of no doubt still owned some today
    if people were not so short sighted as to give the company away. Still see plenty of V cans lying around the place.

Advanced Member

Buffett was doing really well out of Coca Cola - but then the uptrend ended. They all do.
    KO must surely have been one of his worst performing investments over the last 12 years.
    Ah, the joys and rewards of a "Buy and Hold" approach eh!

I won't deface the chart with sordid technical indicators - suffice to say that the most primitive TA would have got you and I (well, me at least) out of KO way back in 1998.

Advanced Member

I see you not defacing it with dividend payments either , im sure they grew rather substantial after holding for thirty years, especially if reinvested

http://www.dividend.com/historical/stock.php?symbol=KO
    Last edited by ratkin; 16-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Guru

Im with you on this one Ratkin... charts can be made to show what you want them. If you bought Coca Cola in 1981 at $2 or whatever it was even if holding now you have done well.....

Advanced Member

Coca cola not that unusual either , go back and look at the fortune 500 archives for the 70s and 80s and you will
    see many of todays top companies . If you had randomly picked ten from the top 100 and just held them i suspect
    you would of done very well indeed, especially if concentrating on the popular brands of the time.
    And even the ones that went bad such as Kodak , it would of been very easy to see the effect digital cameras would
    have allowing plenty of time for an exit on fundamental grounds.

Heres a list of anyones curious.
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ive/full/1980/

Of course i wouldnt put abano healthcare in that category !!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I'm sure dividends grew rather substantial after holding for thirty years, especially if reinvested....
    You would want to reinvest them in some other stock though - one that was going UP!

It is really surprising how small a dividend yield it takes to influence some people. Over the time that KO has been trendless, dividend yield has averaged out at about 2.08% pa. Call me unreasonable, demanding, avaricious, or unrealistic, but I expect my investments to provide an annual return far, far higher than a mere 2%! Why would you settle for such a derisory sum?

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You would want to reinvest them in some other stock though - one that was going UP!

It is really surprising how small a dividend yield it takes to influence some people. Over the time that KO has been trendless, dividend yield has averaged out at about 2.08% pa. Call me unreasonable, demanding, avaricious, or unrealistic, but I expect my investments to provide an annual return far, far higher than a mere 2%! Why would you settle for such a derisory sum?
    I agree, but the massive growth achieved from the previous 17 years using buy and hold has been well and truly paid for. So any further growth thru a trendless share price plus a 2% divi would just adds to ones wealth. I'd be happy holding KO 20+ years.
    h2

Yes, but you would compare your dividend yield to the current value of your investment.

So it would be irrelevant what your investment has done up to now, when you are talking about ongoing yield gain.

I almost tear my hair out when i hear people talk about their "yield to purchase price."

For example you had Coke shares worth 5000, they have now grown to 10,000. Current dividend yield is 2%. You can get 6% in the bank.

Why is it relevant what you paid for the shares initially? We are talking about future returns. All youre doing by holding at that point is giving your gains back to the market (relatively speaking) by compounding at an inferior rate than even the risk free rate.

percy

I just love talking to old guys,who tell me they are getting 50% divie yeild on this 65% on that,and 95% yield on the other.Good on them.If they had just put the money at the bank at 3 ,4 or 5%.in fact they have earned the right to talk like that,rather than those who chased high yields and lost the lot.So what their 50% yield is only 2% on todays purchase price.