• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

[QUOTE=Aaron;351001][QUOTE=minimoke;350994]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We might be at odds here. It places a similar burden on the poor as it does the rich.

I don't think we are at odds, I just don't think you understand what I am saying. That GST is a regressive tax is a fact not an opinion.
    The less income you earn the more GST you pay as a percentage of your income.
    As far as the basics in life go we could agree that everyone has to eat and drink and wear clothes etc. It doesn't place a similar burden on the rich as it does on the poor. The poor will be spending a greater portion of their income on essentials to survive but the wealthier you are the more discretion you have in regard to your consumption/spending.
    Except... you forget that savings are really just deferred spending... its all going to catch up with the wealthy eventually. Those savings will be spent on consuming goods and services in the future, and the wealthy will be taxed just like the rest of them.

We don't save money for fun, we save so that we can spend in the future don't we?

The only real discretion that the rich have is the choice to save or spend their discretionary income. But either way that income will be taxed when it is spent; by themselves or by their kids etc it doesn't really matter, it will still be taxed.

Probably be need to be a tax on capital leaving the country to make it work though
    Last edited by mr.needs; 12-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.