sharetrader
Page 3 of 241 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Veteran novice

A solid result from STU with half year underlying profit of around $8m, giving full year NPAT of $17m, an increase of 168% on the previous year.

SP up 2c.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    A solid result from STU with half year underlying profit of around $8m, giving full year NPAT of $17m, an increase of 168% on the previous year.

SP up 2c.
    I thought it was a good result,but the outlook commentary was very sober reading.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I thought it was a good result,but the outlook commentary was very sober reading.
    I agree, percy. The result was a touch above where I was expecting, but was a bit disappointed the outlook wasn't stronger. Then again, STU can be a bit like that and tend to be a bit more bumpy than others, so may surprise (either way!) at half year. Nice to see the big chunky div though - that won't go amiss.

Veteran novice

Yes, Lizard, STU management seldom seem to see the glass more than half full, even at the best of times. Can hardly blame them given the unpredictable nature of their sector and business conditions generally. I thought it was a pretty good result and a realistic assessment of prospects.

Jeez the CEOs speech at the AGM was a bit sombre - I've heard more cheerful stuff at funerals

So half year $6-$7m almost 50% down on last year .... no matter the shareprice is starting to dive - so the charts only looked better for a little while

STU doing their best ..... like all associated with the construction/building industry hard to do bloody well when business is down 20% .... but the boom times have gone for a decade or more and outfits like STU need to understand that today level of activity is the new norm ... well maybe a bit better but not that much. I sense they recognise this and that is good

Just as well they have a controlling shareholder eh

percy

[QUOTE=winner69;360731]Jeez the CEOs speech at the AGM was a bit sombre - I've heard more cheerful stuff at funerals

Guess there was no talk of increasing the director's fees.!!!!!!

Veteran novice

Jeez the CEOs speech at the AGM was a bit sombre - I've heard more cheerful stuff at funerals
    The DomPost (James Weir) takes a different tone. Photo of CEO Dave Taylor is headed "Upbeat message".

Different takes on the same information makes the market!

percy

I try to attend as many meetings as I can,because I have found reports of meetings totally at odds with my view queit often.
    I put this down to reporters not actually owning shares in companies they report on.They just do not have the owner's eye.
    I value sharetraders reports on meetings they have attended for the same reason;"the owner's eye."

I was there at the AGM (representing a shareholder I was even though really an interested industry observer) and listened to the speeches and left before the sandwiches which probablyy would have been quite nice

Might have been upbeat about last year but was pretty sombre about the present and the next yearl Haven't seen the DomPost today for that photo of an upbeat Taylor but Weirs report doesn't read 'upbeat'

They'll be OK as long as shareholders (ie the market) doesn't expect miracles ... we all need to accept the new norm that (real) growth is a thing of the past

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Have just run my dividend metric over STU.

2012F: 5.5c, 5.5c
    2011: 9.0c, 6.0c
    2010: 3.5c, 5.5c
    2009: 9.0c, 10.0c
    2008: 10.0c, 9.0c

-----

Average dps over the last 5 years is 12.5c

12.5/0.08= a share price of $1.56!

I am really shocked by this. STU is a very well run company and if they can't make money from construction then no-one can IMO. My formula says sell STU as it is currently significantly overvalued. My head tells me don't invest in any share that make their money from building stuff!

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7