sharetrader

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by toast2success View Post
    thanks for persevering with my questions.....

So I have some more.......
    • Is there an 'unofficial' timeframe that people are referring to when someone is a 'buy and hold' type investor. For example if their intention is to hold a share more than 6 months do they get labelled as a 'buy and hold type'. This is purely out of curiosity
    • How often do IPO's come up , for example, if averaged out the last 5 years , how many would you say happen each year ?
    • Would you say there is a need for any specific software for a beginner ? I'm guessing Excel will become my friend very quickly (we dont get on so well at the moment)
    • In terms of FA do many people use a software programme or do basic/freeware software programmes suffice for this purpose ?
    thanks
    1. As i am a "fundamental" styled investor the stocks i am currently looking at, are all with a 2 - 5 year buy & hold focus.

I am talking about stocks on the ASX, whereby i see "value" within current projects as they come into development (as well as meeting a host of different criteria for me).

I certainly wudn't look to sell within 2 years, UNLESS, there was a major change in the companies fundamentals

2. The ASX website has a section on upcoming IPO's but the timing of them is very dependent on "favourable market conditions", as for the NZX, i dont follow this anymore, Snoopy or Belgarion may be able to help you here.

3. Excel should be more than enough for you to record all details for investment purposes, until such time as you are wanting to actively "trade", a software program really isnt necessary. Keep it simple! (Coming from an Accountant, thats rich!)
    Last edited by shasta; 04-01-2012 at 03:51 PM.