sharetrader
Page 79 of 2018 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283891291795791079 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Default 787 etops

Air NZ is due to take delivery in the near future of the troubled Boeing 787.

It is likely that the US Federal Aviation Authority will decline to extend ETOPS certification to this airframe.

This is a certification which allows twin engined aircraft to operate an extended range from the nearest airport. An airline which operates extended oceianic routes would need such aircraft in its fleet to operate efficiently If such a certification is not availiable I would expect this to have a material effect on Cullen Airlines earnings
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 28-03-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Air NZ is due to take delivery in the near future of the troubled Boeing 787.

It is likely that the US Federal Aviation Authority will decline to extend ETOPS certification to this airframe.
    I think it is highly unlikely that the US Federal Aviation Authority will decline to extend ETOPS certification to this airframe.
    It is not due here until June next year.
    With the 787-8 having had another year of operation by then, the -9 should have no problem with ETOPS certification.
    Last edited by biker; 28-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.

why is AIR droping sharply today?

I was a little surprised by the drop too. The media came up with these explanations:
    1. High nz dollar means less tourism. Also mean lower fuel price for AIR.
    2. Institutions raising funds for MRP.
    3. Poor US lead (on friday)

I've used the opportunity to top up. The last 2 Monthly reports give me a lot of confidence that even the highest analyst revenue expectations will be exceeded. This should translate into earnings estimates that exceed expectations as well.

I see that Jetstar's habit of offering bad service is catching up with them

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...to-poor-demand

They may be cheaper than AIR but as someone who has been stung by Jetstar more than once with delays and inconvenience. I don't even consider them an option when planning a flight so I don't even bother checking their prices.

Should be good for AIR

Air New Zealand's trans-Pacific plans for operating Boeing 787 Dreamliners have hit a major problem with an announcement in Washington that rules over how far they can fly from an airport are unlikely to be extended.

As the rule for Extended Twin-engine Operations (ETOPS) now stands, Air New Zealand will not be able to fly its new Dreamliners direct from Auckland to the United States or Canada without a stop or a significant route change.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...plans-hit-bump

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Ouch! That's what you get for buying into something ANTICIPATING that the rules will change. Tsk Tsk AIR!
    Given the delays for Dreamliners, they could probably sell to European airlines who aren't effected by the rules and make a tidy profit.

I am pretty sure I read ages ago that that is how Virgin airlines earned all its money in the early days - not from the flights but buy selling their place in the queue to buy new planes.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

AIR just announced earnings expectations for the year. Ahead of average analyst forecasts by quite a margin

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    AIR just announced earnings expectations for the year. Ahead of average analyst forecasts by quite a margin
    Yes, great outlook

OUTLOOK
    Based on current market conditions and the trading environment, Air New Zealand expects FY13 Normalised Earnings before Taxation to be in the range of NZ$235 million to NZ$260 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Yes, great outlook

OUTLOOK
    Based on current market conditions and the trading environment, Air New Zealand expects FY13 Normalised Earnings before Taxation to be in the range of NZ$235 million to NZ$260 million.
    Based on their historical tax rate and using the middle, it should translate to eps of around 17c. This puts it on a pe of 8.87.

Recent history tells us they will make the upper end of the range (eps .179.)

DISC: Hold