sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by born2invest View Post
    Since my first investment in early 2010 in RYM I've felt I've developed my investment skills immensely and continue to read and learn everyday. I've found that learning the basics of investing is the easy part. Controlling your emotions and acting with a clear, logical thought process is the hardest part to master. Not getting caught up in the "hot" opportunities of the day and sticking to what you know is the best lesson I've learnt along the way. i.e. not investing in momentum stocks, technology or mining companies but sticking to basic easy to understand industries like debt collection, truck/bus parts, banks, insurance, paints, retirement homes, ports, transport companies and all those boring (but profitable) things.
    born2invest, I have been reading your investment diary on this thread with great interest. I have held 'big bank' shares over the last ten years based on the general logic that banks seems to do well in good times and bad and have tended to have dividend yields that outperform their own term deposits. However, I have never claimed to have understood bank shares and have spent are large amount of time over the last two years trying to do so.

I am pleased for you that you have grouped three classes of financial shares in the 'easy' basket. But I do wonder if your intellect is so much greater than mine (which in fairness I admit it may be) or whether you are showing just a touch of youthful exuberance with say your CCP investment. I go back on this forum to the days of the late Gerry Stolwyk who was a huge enthusiast in the finance (subset debt collection) sector. I missed out on the Baycorp boom (the hot share in this sector at the time, but one I didn't understand) but also missed out on the subsequent bust.
    Collection House in Australia I recall charted a similar path. I wonder how CCP today compares with those two historic examples?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7