sharetrader
Page 586 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 8648653657658258358458558658758858959059663668610861586 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 16077
    The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I have no idea what caucus think privately about David Cunliffe.
    OK I'll give you some clues.
    1) They invented a club called ABC. Anyone but Cunliffe. This was Labour, not Crosby Textor.
    2) They nicknamed him silent T.
    3) They installed an anti Cunliffe fellow as chief whip
    4) He got the leadership from party members and unions, not caucus. Can't blame C-T for that el Z.

I think you need to give NZers a little bit more credit too. I'm sure some have listened to C-T styled sound bites and been influenced by them, but I think the majority were smart enough to ignore the distractions and look at the policy and make their own minds up. And they simply didn't want a CGT, PowerCo and man ban etc. With all due respect I do think implying most NZers weren't capable of doing this is a bit insulting el Z.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    NBT: First, I am not qualified or even interested in being a candidate, and anyone wanting to be PM will have had a stint or two in parliament. So whoever gets Labour's leadership, we'll already know them.
    Agree.

I'll put in my 2 cents.

- David Parker should be acting leader for a period of time. I think a bigger review needs to be done before they consider a new leader (ie. at a party level, not an MP level). By choosing the new leader now, you are predetermining the path you are taking before you decide whether you are even going in the right direction.
    - Robertson probably the best there but the issue is there hasn't been enough renewal.
    - They need to do something for Maori, as that is the only reason they got above 20%. co-vice leader roll?

What are Goff, Mallard etc still hanging around for (Goff lost the leadership - is that not a big enough hint to go?). Anyone first elected in the 80's should leave. Without new blood, they wont have the new and exciting candidates coming up through the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    I think you need to give NZers a little bit more credit too. I'm sure some have listened to C-T styled sound bites and been influenced by them, but I think the majority were smart enough to ignore the distractions and look at the policy and make their own minds up. And they simply didn't want a CGT, PowerCo and man ban etc.
    Why would the majority of Kiwis not want CGT, PowerCo and a man ban?

1) At least 50% of voters are women, they should go for the man ban.
    2) Surely CGT would not affect the majority of kiwis? Just those with extra properties.
    3) Unless you have shares in a power company (which the majority of New Zealanders don't) then the PowerCo bill saves you money.

So...if those policies are good for a majority of new Zealanders...why didn't they vote for them?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Banksie View Post
    Why would the majority of Kiwis not want CGT, PowerCo and a man ban?

1) At least 50% of voters are women, they should go for the man ban.
    2) Surely CGT would not affect the majority of kiwis? Just those with extra properties.
    3) Unless you have shares in a power company (which the majority of New Zealanders don't) then the PowerCo bill saves you money.

So...if those policies are good for a majority of new Zealanders...why didn't they vote for them?
    1) Successful woman want to get there by earning it, not being given it. We've had Women PM, GG, CJ all at the same time, so the only real barrier is figuring out how to play in the big boys games, not that they are banned from it.
    2) I think most support it to some degree but the amounts it will bring in a small, especially when you exempt the home. More details are needed.
    3) The costs of implementation and running would have exceed the benefit, though I think this was probably lost on most people. The real issue was most people were probably thinking only $300 - you'll have to do better than that if you want to bribe me.

Advanced Member

If this keeps up I will have no trouble taking a bet on the next election. Among the left wing posters here, I haven't seen one who has taken a sportsmanlike attitude - blame the press - blame the Aussie out fit something dextor or whatever. Blame the voters for being stupid. But whatever you do, dont blame DC for being a cynical prick who doesn't appeal to people. Don't blame the herd of weirdos who were sitting on the fence waiting on the fence ready to get in behind a weak labour scrum - or the many labour voters who saw this writing on the wall and backed away from the party. A wake should not last more than two days - the corpse is not going to come back to life - and will soon begin to smell. Bury it now.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    If this keeps up I will have no trouble taking a bet on the next election. Among the left wing posters here, I haven't seen one who has taken a sportsmanlike attitude - blame the press - blame the Aussie out fit something dextor or whatever. Blame the voters for being stupid. But whatever you do, dont blame DC for being a cynical prick who doesn't appeal to people. Don't blame the herd of weirdos who were sitting on the fence waiting on the fence ready to get in behind a weak labour scrum - or the many labour voters who saw this writing on the wall and backed away from the party. A wake should not last more than two days - the corpse is not going to come back to life - and will soon begin to smell. Bury it now.

By next election Labour/Greens will not have recovered. Winston will be a step nearer the grave - if he's not already in it, Maori party will hold their 2 seats and might get a list one as well. The only real change will be a rise in the Conservatives to over the threshold, so your bet will be safe if you take it now. ipredict at 50 cents for a bet on National will double your dough.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    By next election Labour/Greens will not have recovered. Winston will be a step nearer the grave - if he's not already in it, Maori party will hold their 2 seats and might get a list one as well. The only real change will be a rise in the Conservatives to over the threshold, so your bet will be safe if you take it now. ipredict at 50 cents for a bet on National will double your dough.
    If I were a bookie, right now I would be offering $1.01 for a $1.00 bet on National winning the next one. And as a bookie, I'd probably lose money on it.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    If I were a bookie, right now I would be offering $1.01 for a $1.00 bet on National winning the next one. And as a bookie, I'd probably lose money on it.
    But bookies don't lose money!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    But bookies don't lose money!

Sure wouldn't with hanging on to the dough at 1% for 3 years.

Guru

Did anyone catch DC on Cambell live tonight? That was comedy. Poor David shows lack of insight into Labour's woes and his delusions of grandeur are bordering on the pathological. He talks patronizingly about caucus colleagues and blames others for his failures. Is it possible we have a mental disorder playing out here.