sharetrader

Hybrid View

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Excellent thanks huxley. Lots of good info there. I think there is enough uncertainty re whether Tiwai will go sooner or later. That creates uncertainty longer term. Thanks for your thoughts too dingo; I'm not as sure as you are atp. Im surprised there is not more discussion here; investors living in the moment maybe; a little blasé', maybe. with the runup in s/p..

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    A few points we need to think about in future.

"Electricity demand would require about a decade to recover if Tiwai pt closed a government report says"

"Tiwai used re 13 % of national electricity usage in 2013"

"The ministries modelling suggests that the smelters decision relating to production levels beyond 2017 are finely balanced"

"The smelter can terminate the contract completely from Jan 2017 provided it gives 15 months notice" Oct 2015?

The smelter says it pays some of the highest power prices in the world

"There is still considerable uncertainty about future production and decommissioning the smelter after 2017...."

There are 8 scenarios listed ranging from closure to less MW usage

A positive i wasn't aware of is that the smelter is not old and inefficient but is" one of the most efficient in the world"

Transmission costs also talked about re re being the highest in the world for a smelter.

Transmission costs have gone up but power cheaper than 8 years ago.