sharetrader

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Note that the price at Benmore has remained low. That is because one of the Cook Strait cables is out of service today for maintenance, and the remaining cable cannot carry all the South Island power. This results in a price separation between the Islands, effectively telling the market that more North Island generation is needed and less South Island generation. Unfortunately, the downfall of the half hourly nodal price system we use in NZ does not recognise the fact that generation plant cannot be started and stopped that quickly.
    Not correct, the half hour market offer fully include generation plant ramp rates, so the price you see is the lowest possible clearing price that solves for all factors including offers, transmission, reserves, and plant ramp rates. As an aside much of NZs thermal plant, including Stratford peaker, McKee, Huntly 6 and whirinaki do have reasonably quick ramp rates. Hydro of course is near instant in most cases.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
    Not correct, the half hour market offer fully include generation plant ramp rates, so the price you see is the lowest possible clearing price that solves for all factors including offers, transmission, reserves, and plant ramp rates. As an aside much of NZs thermal plant, including Stratford peaker, McKee, Huntly 6 and whirinaki do have reasonably quick ramp rates. Hydro of course is near instant in most cases.
    Huh? What part of my post is not correct?
    HVDC Pole 2 is out of service today from 07:00 (when I finished my shift) to 16:00. All North Island fast start plant except Whirinaki was already running prior to the outage. Otahuhu and Stratford CCGTs were not running, not offered, and would take days to get going.