Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
I have real doubts that it could be done today,especially in Auckland --which makes the original question hard to answer--The fairness of it all is another debate (Ive just been a lucky bystander in many ways)--to me the whole capital gains thing would most likely work better if they determined the value of props when the law came into affect and work from there--trying to go retrospective would just be to hard and most likely wouldnt work--so at the moment Ive got big gains on paper--not a very big cash flow--high rates-and tenants--and then perhaps a tax to come--9Ive been pretty much buy and hold---those that flick are a different animale.
Im also perfectly aware that this (what I believe)crash thats coming to the share market may well spill over to the housing market and reset values(but not rates)

I still cant figure out why they dont use the existing tracks to Huntley and Hamilton for a decent commuter train into Auckland(thus opening up lots more affordable properties in those areas for those working in auckland.
There was a commuter train Hamilton - Auckland that was shut down 5? years ago due to lack of patronage.It may be better patronized now & be time to bring it back.
https://www.facebook.com/HamiltonCommuterTrain