sharetrader
Page 34 of 899 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134534 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boofters View Post
    H&M coming to Auckland, not good news for HLG. I'm afraid these guys are PPL just a couple of year behind. If ZARA gets here too then she's goodnight nurse IMO
    Boofters,

I'd have to disagree. PPL are toast, high debt, poor management, staff churn, overpriced offering - the list goes on.
    HLG - a debt free retailer with a quality working/middle class offering with management that has a proven track record of adapting in a difficult retail environment. New competitors might make things tougher for Hallensteins but as far as lumping HLG with PPL that is a disgracefully inaccurate comparison imho.

Most likely only one flagship store in Auckland. Comparing PPL with HLG is like comparing chalk and cheese.

fair enough..but I did qualify this by saying 2 years ..HLG will struggle no question to remain as profitable as it is now. Agreed comparison with PPL is probably unfair - but I still stand by the Brand worth of HLG ( and therefore market cap ) will trend downwards over the next year or 2 or 3.

Guru

I'm with you largely Boofters. Matter of time before the internet catches up with HLG. But I've been thinking that for a while and they have continued to do well. Nevertheless, I have no retail stocks and also avoid LPT's that are heavily weighted to malls.

Quote Originally Posted by boofters View Post
    fair enough..but I did qualify this by saying 2 years ..HLG will struggle no question to remain as profitable as it is now. Agreed comparison with PPL is probably unfair - but I still stand by the Brand worth of HLG ( and therefore market cap ) will trend downwards over the next year or 2 or 3.
    I tried to warn them before as well boofters, they prefer to look backwards at history rather than forwards at fashion trends.

H&M's entry was inevitable as is the entry of other global fast fashion chains, Uniqlo, Forever 21, Zara and Mango. One of any of these stores will do as much trade as 10 Glassons stores.

HLG has the resources and experience to change and adapt but it will cost them and if they don't succeed a better comparison will be Postie+.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Matter of time before the internet catches up with HLG. But I've been thinking that for a while and they have continued to do well.
    While I see clothing internet sales growing, I don't think it will become the nextbigthing for quite some time at least (and HLG have every opportunity to maintain their position, also on the internet) Why? Buying some generic good like electronics on the net is fine, you know what you're getting. But with clothing, you order a medium and it is more like a small, so you have to return it. The large arrives but it sits funny and looks stupid so you decide to go for a different style altogether. That item then looks like a different colour to the photo, back it goes. My point being for stuff like clothing and shoes it's easier to just pop into the store and get what you need, unless you have a month and time to courier back and forward. Meaning HLG are quite safe IMHO and I hold in my diversified dividend portfolio. I like that clean balance sheet with no debt.

Why on earth anyone would want to buy some of the C*@p they sell, like the super tight chino pants that only go 3/4 way down your leg is beyond me*1, however I'm quite happy to profit from those who desire to dress like they're not quite right upstairs.

*1 sorry to anyone who wears Hallensteins supertight chinos*2

*2 Actually I'm not sorry at all. You look stupid, but thanks for your money.

percy

My wife ordered a number of items from Ezi-buy one Friday morning.
    The order arrived the next morning,ie Saturday morning.
    All items fitted her perfectly,and all were what she wanted.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    My wife ordered a number of items from Ezi-buy one Friday morning.
    The order arrived the next morning,ie Saturday morning.
    All items fitted her perfectly,and all were what she wanted.
    A woman that is easy to please !!!

You had better hang on to that one Perc ..

percy

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    A woman that is easy to please !!!

You had better hang on to that one Perc ..
    You put me in a hard place,a delicate dilemma,between a rock and a hard place.
    Best to answer it dishonestly,yes she is easy to please.!!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    You put me in a hard place,a delicate dilemma,between a rock and a hard place.
    Best to answer it dishonestly,yes she is easy to please.!!
    Diplomacy at it's best.. :-))))