sharetrader
Page 980 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 480880930970976977978979980981982983984990103010801480 ... LastLast
Results 9,791 to 9,800 of 16077

Shouldn't it be 'gathering' intelligence rather than just intelligence. Typically the two aren't found in the same place. ;-)
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Just the one post today I promise, MVT. And I'll link to it.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU160...+16+March+2016

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

Yes, that's what you get when you elect a National govt! Those pesky Europeans subsidise their farmers to produce more milk! At least, I assume that's the connection to the subject of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

OK, EZ - I understand ... whatever might be bad for NZ - you are indulging in it! Must be a miserable pleasure, but each to their own.

What I don't see is - what alternative would a left wing government (including some Labour component) offer?

Magically increase the milk price? Force the banks to reduce interest rates (as stiff-elbowed Andrew proposed)? Remove any foreign governments which subsidize the milk price? Force the Russians to comply with Western requirements so that we can sell them our milk again? Shift our agricultural production from dairy to love and sell the latter? Print money and distribute that via benefits to everybody?

Just pointing out problems without offering a credible alternative might not be enough ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Milk is a saleable product like any other and the world demand went through the roof. That was followed by boatloads of investors who borrowed the sun moon and stars to rake in the profit - many had never been near a farm in their lives but there were many more within farming who saw the glitter of gold and converted to the new religion. Now the price has dropped and for some hard line traditional dairy farmers its business as usual and they will continue as they did before, taking the good with the bad. But then we have the droves of investors of various types and levels who were stupid enough to over-extend and now face bankruptcy or some other form of poverty and they expect the Govt./nation/banks to bale them out. Just because milk, farmers,dairy are words that are filled with emotion in NZ does not make them any different than the many businesses that go to the wall every year.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    OK, EZ - I understand ... whatever might be bad for NZ - you are indulging in it! Must be a miserable pleasure, but each to their own.

What I don't see is - what alternative would a left wing government (including some Labour component) offer?
    Good lord - don't start him up!

Don't worry EZ, Andrew Little heard you http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/an...#axzz42p5BfrPL
    Better for Labour Party to merge with NZ First really

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

Magically increase the milk price? Force the banks to reduce interest rates (as stiff-elbowed Andrew proposed)? Remove any foreign governments which subsidize the milk price? Force the Russians to comply with Western requirements so that we can sell them our milk again? Shift our agricultural production from dairy to love and sell the latter? Print money and distribute that via benefits to everybody?

Just pointing out problems without offering a credible alternative might not be enough ...
    I quite agree, there should be more work done on alternatives. The bank stress tests look OK, except banks also fund most SMEs in the region, backed with property generally. Read the last line in this link.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/7794...+17+March+2016

If I don't go over my imposed word count, my points are that the National Govt lit a fire under dairy growth, they basked in the highs but didn't get a massive amount of tax in to show for it. Now the payout has plunged, they say dairying isn't that important to the economy, but out in the dairy provinces, it certainly is.

There are other uses for land on the scale used for dairying. Goat farming/milking for one. Horticulture, cropping. But my most scathing retort on this government is reserved for the other new businesses they have not helped as well as they should for seven years - the small manufacturers, the niche market people, the growing exporters.

The big guys have been looked after with grants. They've automated, reduced staff counts, then built themselves massive mansions with the profits and leftovers. This occurred because they have lobbyists, and/or they are funders of the National Party machine.

SMEs would take grants and use them carefully, and they'd immediately employ more people, because they are at the growing part of their cycle.

Advanced Member

The greatest number of small businesses in this country and most of the western world were retailers. Most retailers are the leftovers of an old economy - the Butcher, The Baker and the Candle Stick maker. I would go to the shoe shop and spend two or three weeks wages on a pair of shoes and next door to the tailor and spend two months wages on a suit of clothes. Now I go to the N01 Shoe Warehouse and spend less than an hours wages on the shoes and the suit? Well, I bought one for my sons wedding fifteen years ago and I think I still have it. The message is simple - if you happen to be a small businessman, like el Zorro, and you are being swept down the gutter by progress - find another way of making a living - don't expect the taxpayer, through the government, to bail you out.

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Don't worry EZ, Andrew Little heard you http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/an...#axzz42p5BfrPL
    Better for Labour Party to merge with NZ First really
    Merger? ... not so sure. Maybe Little is just looking for a new challenge? I hear Winston won't be around for ever, maybe Little just wants to demonstrate his interest and qualifications in running the populist party, given the doubts about him staying around as Labour leader? Just remember: Shearer got fired for bad poll ratings ... and this was when Labour polled in the mid 30'ies .
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)