sharetrader
Page 611 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 11151156160160760860961061161261361461562166171111111611 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,110 of 20200

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Still a great trading share, to be honest i was surprised the SP didn't drop like a stone with initial VAH news, it was and is still unlikely they will sell for a wind fall or come out of it well. Australian market has been cutting back capacity all this year. It gave a golden opportunity for Shareholders to exit. Where the SP is at now looks fully price in. Will it overshoot even more?
    I think this is a really good answer to OldGuys post http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post618816 it illustrates the disparity between the views of those who are trading a share and those who are investing in a company.

Investors, possibly those who stake a claim to FA as their investment bias, if we can lump all of them into one category, are probably less likely to be concerned with the day to day share price movements (despite a few whom frequently post here suggesting otherwise).

Whereas Traders, if we can lump anyone who buys weakness and sells strength into a category, are keen on the day to day share price movements and hopefully nimble enough to take advantage.

AIR provides enough characteristics to be an attractive traders share, it is volatile and offers daily spreads between buyer and seller. On the other hand it seems (was?) an attractive investors company offering sustained profitability, EPS and upside into the future.

You couldn't pick a more bi-polar listed company if you tried to, imho. Best to just be sure about your own investing or trading strategy and try not to be overly influenced by the chatter here. Even the best get their comeuppance, whether traders or investors.

AIR does that, alarmingly regularly.

BAA

Advanced Member

Even the best get their comeuppance, whether traders or investors. /QUOTE]

To be nailed prominently to all our screens. :-))))

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I think this is a really good answer to OldGuys post http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post618816 it illustrates the disparity between the views of those who are trading a share and those who are investing in a company.

Investors, possibly those who stake a claim to FA as their investment bias, if we can lump all of them into one category, are probably less likely to be concerned with the day to day share price movements (despite a few whom frequently post here suggesting otherwise).

Whereas Traders, if we can lump anyone who buys weakness and sells strength into a category, are keen on the day to day share price movements and hopefully nimble enough to take advantage.

AIR provides enough characteristics to be an attractive traders share, it is volatile and offers daily spreads between buyer and seller. On the other hand it seems (was?) an attractive investors company offering sustained profitability, EPS and upside into the future.

You couldn't pick a more bi-polar listed company if you tried to, imho. Best to just be sure about your own investing or trading strategy and try not to be overly influenced by the chatter here. Even the best get their comeuppance, whether traders or investors.

AIR does that, alarmingly regularly.

BAA
    The charts tell all, I bought this one,made a paltry 2.84% and got out. Bad timing I guess.

I feel I'm walking a hospital ward here and everyones asleep haha.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    You may be right --only time will tell--for me there are a number of things Im not liking in the market as a whole and although AIR may still be fundamentally sound,to many things are pointing in the wrong direction for my liking--It can be @$2 and be fundamentally sound--it aint going broke,but the lofty days may well be over as they are not on easy street anymore imo.
    From where im sitting they operate on a strategy of charging premium prices, so we will see if that keeps on working for them in this new environment.
    For me ,in this environment a smallish loss and a potential lost opportunity is better than possibly a big loss and the game is never really over--there is always possible opportunities at a much lower price...never know.
    My dosh is sitting in my share acc.-yours is sitting in AIR shares--thats the only difference atm.

Their management approach will make clients seriously look at the competition, nickel and dime people long enough and you build resentment. Have heard a great deal about taking the key pref. seats in economy from international flights from koru members this year. Now you have to pay extra for key ones. There are so many examples if you travel on a regular basis. Sometimes they act like they are disney yet without the unique point of difference.

I still haven't got over the movie crapping out about 15 minutes from the end when flying one of those clapped out things from Hong Kong late last year. I assume Rex did die in the Last Taxi to Darwin.

Had fun turning on the overhead light that beamed down on to the poor bugger next to me when he was snoozing
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Left my case in AKL a couple of weeks ago on the way to Buenos Aires, that didn't impress Blocky.

Their "fix the mishap" procedure was good though.

I don't think the AIR sp is doomed, the company is still doing all right and when Virgin is done with normal transmission should resume

Quote Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
    Left my case in AKL a couple of weeks ago on the way to Buenos Aires, that didn't impress Blocky.

I don't think the AIR sp is doomed, the company is still doing all right and when Virgin is done with normal transmission should resume

if and only if.......

Some posters here are going to end up with a coronary with AIR - considered one of the best trading (and hence, brokerage churning) stocks by brokers in the market.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blockhead View Post

i suppose that depends on whether it turns into a long drawn out process.I mentioned what I thought would be best case--I guess worst case would be a long drawn out write off.
    They may have to review their pricing strategy to compete if they are not going to provide the things that make an airline premium.
    the friendliest stewardess(and stewards) just aint the same when your crammed into a smallish seat and cant get your pen when you drop it.
    This could be a storm in a tea cup ,but they are not bulletproof any more .
    Their cornerstone was their fabulous earnings and top class management . Now both are in doubt.
    Its kind of hard to get an idea now ,of where the SP should be.
    We cant really compare to where it was before because the game appears to have changed--Comparing to Quantas is hard now that they have bombed--earnings are forcasted to drop(and may drop further as they price match) and Virgin is a drag on the books.
    It doesnt mean they will crash and burn but so far they have been revalued.
    A downturn may also affect the golden chalice=dividends

Raz--one thing Ive found is all airlines have gotten much better at retreaving lost luggage now that things have become so computerized--I still take a photo of my luggage before each departure just in case(pardon the pun)

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    i suppose that depends on whether it turns into a long drawn out process.I mentioned what I thought would be best case--I guess worst case would be a long drawn out write off.
    They may have to review their pricing strategy to compete if they are not going to provide the things that make an airline premium.
    the friendliest stewardess(and stewards) just aint the same when your crammed into a smallish seat and cant get your pen when you drop it.
    This could be a storm in a tea cup ,but they are not bulletproof any more .
    Their cornerstone was their fabulous earnings and top class management . Now both are in doubt.
    Its kind of hard to get an idea now ,of where the SP should be.
    We cant really compare to where it was before because the game appears to have changed--Comparing to Quantas is hard now that they have bombed--earnings are forecasted to drop(and may drop further as they price match) and Virgin is a drag on the books.
    It doesn't mean they will crash and burn but so far they have been revalued.
    A downturn may also affect the golden chalice=dividends

Raz--one thing Ive found is all airlines have gotten much better at retreaving lost luggage now that things have become so computerized--I still take a photo of my luggage before each departure just in case(pardon the pun)
    I will temp fate here..never lost a bag...as an executive was flying international constantly for a F500, averaging 100 flights a year. As a consultant living here and traveling to the US/UK every two-three weeks..never. Think the international air bag system is one of the modern wonders of the world.

Where does this modern urban myth about top class management come from, airlines everywhere have never attracted the best and they constantly miss the 5% MI.
    AIR are even used internationally as a case study by consultants as a good company thats misses the 5% MI! Wins some awards by NZ people that want to charm them and cross sell..yeah whatever.

I trade the share as currently the dividend is not adequate rate of return for this shares risk profile IMHO. In addition, what is a return with capital loss, time waits for no one.
    Last edited by Raz; 06-05-2016 at 10:26 AM.