Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
Utilizing dividend re-investment plans is a good way to compound your growth and with four dividends a year this also helps. One thing you will find on this forum is a broad spectrum of views and it will be obvious that many posters will be in a different position and circumstances to yourself so wise to read everything with a judicial viewpoint. My only comment would be to try and achieve some variety in your choices so you have a good diversified portfolio. How diversified ? Maybe not more than 10% in any one share. Since your circumstances require you to be a bit conservative, this could even out the chances of having a dud. If you are careful with your choices and timing you should be able to do several percentage points better than a TD without too much risk. As others have said keep researching and learning.
Yes figuring out how to create diversity is a bit of a "head scratching" activity right now. Given the small amount I have to invest (which will grow but still be small compared to most) - I really have no idea what the best option is from here on. Am I better to focus on building my Kingfish holding to (say) 5000 shares, before I look at alternatives? Or should I be looking at company no:2 for my next saved $1000-2000? As per my previous posts I like the concept of ETF but there are so many to choose from - hypothetically, if I were to go with Smartshares, how do I decide which fund to go with? (SmartLarge, SmartSmall, SmartDividend etc; and then NZ, AUS, US etc). Right now I'm leaning towards SmartDividend (assuming dividends can be reinvested) as that seems like a good way to grow my small holding.

Lots to think about and lots more learning needed. Thanks for the help - really appreciate it.