sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Default Campbell MacPherson Appraisal

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Are they still the compelling investment that I believed the TNRHA bonds were two years ago? Let's see.
    As part of the AGM documentation, an assessment of the bonds was made by independent firm Campbell MacPherson. On page 11 of the CM report they stated:

--------------

"The proposed interest rate of 6.5% p.a. is significantly lower than the interest rate on the existing bonds of 9.0%. This primarily reflects:

1/ A reduction in wholesale interest rates over the past 2 years.
    2/ A reduction in financail risk associated with Turners

---------------

I accept the first point, but not the second.

It is true that Turners have been well managed over the last couple of years. But the loan business is competitive, with other good operators out there who can win over your customers. What is also true over the last two years is that in the loan industry, the climate has been exceptionally favourable for those loan businesses that survivied the great financial sector collapse. There is an old investment saying that only when the tide goes out you get to see who is swimming naked. Finance companies have been swimming at high tide for the last two years. Just how badly Turners will be affected during the next financial downturn is unknown. But IMO the 'next downturn' risk has not reduced for Turners over the last two years.

My opinion is reinforced by the relaxed 'Leverage ratio' and 'Interest cover' covenants. This would suggest a more relaxed lending policy. And this implies that company risk has increased from a few months ago.

The report carries on

---------------

We estimate the market based interest rate on a security with similar chacteristics to the New Bonds should be in the range of 6.0% to 8.5% per annum (representing a premium of 1.0% to 3.5% over Turners FY2016 bank borrowing costs of 5.0%).

------------

Turners 6.5% offered is towards the bottom end of this range. I don't think that is compelling enough, when there is every chance that interest rates will be higher in two years than they are now. If the new interst rate was 7.5%, my answer would have been different. I won't be renewing by TNR bonds as a fixed interest investment. However, I will be renewing -some- of my TNR bonds!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 19-09-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7