interdasting

I am in the same kinda boat. Have been an "analyst" my whole career. Every type of analyst (financial, risk, commercial, costing, data etc) and now I'm a senior investment adviser (in public sector infrastructure)

But have had a dual career starting off in property investment and dabbling in shares - in the last few years as I have sold property have invested more into share and expanded into managed funds, private equity and some p2p lending. About 60% of my income now comes of this side of my career.

I would really like to do this full time, and have made the first step of setting up a private investment fund to get me started (which I will manage for free).

I was wondering if I went and did a CFA and tried to become a financial adviser, how much my experience (in both "careers") would count for.
Also I'm a bit older - 40 - so might I have left it too late?

I am ok with earning a bit less, as i said I have a pretty good job now, and it still only is about 40% of my annual net earnings. so would not be doing this for the money. I like talking finance / investments and helping out people with these type of things.