sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

Just think about who would win if under Labour's proposal both a man and a woman claim that they have been raped by the other person. Neither of them can prove consent. Who do you reckon will go to jail - both? Yeah, right ...
    It is a difficult area. When investigating, police may refer to any previous complaints, history of violence etc. Whether previous history of complaints/ false accusations or previous convictions is admissible as evidence in court could be a subject of any review of the law surrounding sexual complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Shouldn't cost much. I reckon they'd get a heap of volunteers.
    LOL. Obviously it depends ... but I am sure as well that you realise I talked not just about the financial burden of employing a witness - some people do value their privacy
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    It is a difficult area. When investigating, police may refer to any previous complaints, history of violence etc. Whether previous history of complaints/ false accusations or previous convictions is admissible as evidence in court could be a subject of any review of the law surrounding sexual complaints.
    Ouch - and here goes another pillar of our justice system? So far it is in court all about what you have done (as evidenced by your actions at the alleged crime), not about "how good you are" (evidenced by what you might have done in the past ...).

Are you just saying that Labour wants to crumble this pillar as well? The accused with the better history wins ...

I know it is a difficult (and very sensitive) area. Makes it worse that Labour wants to make political points with not even half baked policies.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Ouch - and here goes another pillar of our justice system? So far it is in court all about what you have done (as evidenced by your actions at the alleged crime), not about "how good you are" (evidenced by what you might have done in the past ...).

Are you just saying that Labour wants to crumble this pillar as well? The accused with the better history wins ...

I know it is a difficult (and very sensitive) area. Makes it worse that Labour wants to make political points with not even half baked policies.
    Similar fact evidence is already admissible in certain circumstances (to establish a modus operandi) - could be the subject of review in certain cases.

New ad out from Labour. Andrew Kirton sent me the link.

But the words put me off - don't think I'll watch it ....might bring me to tears

He did ask me to share it though
    http://www.labour.org.nz/freshapproa...ource=nzlabour
    Last edited by winner69; 17-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

But the words put me off - don't think I'll watch it ....might bring me to tears

I'll bet you watched it, W69. I personally think Labour is pretty good at producing lame ads. This could be one of them. Three years we've waited for a decent show, there should be some better ones. Maybe they're going to play super nice with National again, but National are on such shaky ground that I'd like to see them getting some stick.

Paula Bennett was asked directly about her own experiences with WINZ today. She never 'deliberately misled them' about her situation.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...sled-winz.html
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Ref John Keys being conferred with the Order of Australia
    What a delicious irony, considering the issues Kiwis living in Australia have

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap" .Napoléon

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Ref John Keys being conferred with the Order of Australia
    What a delicious irony, considering the issues Kiwis living in Australia have

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap" .Napoléon
    Agree, what's that all about? Is it a contra deal or something? Kiwi-born residents in Australia are being hammered by successive changes to the rules. But John Key has single-handedly improved our foreign and trade relations?

I would think that many Labour MPs have a portrait of Michael Joseph Savage in their offices. Quite a few National MPs could instead frame that quote from Napoleon.

Some comments on Labour's first video, which won't run on TV or radio at this stage of the campaign.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...st-campaign-ad

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'll bet you watched it, W69. I personally think Labour is pretty good at producing lame ads. This could be one of them. Three years we've waited for a decent show, there should be some better ones. Maybe they're going to play super nice with National again, but National are on such shaky ground that I'd like to see them getting some stick.

Paula Bennett was asked directly about her own experiences with WINZ today. She never 'deliberately misled them' about her situation.
    Obviously guilty as sin, wouldn't you say eZ ? Wait - don't answer. I'll try and guess, a bit later perhaps when my brain has been rested and nourished.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

They put me off too. So does the on-screen caption of them.