sharetrader
Page 23 of 697 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123523 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    You guys are so out of touch with the reality of poverty.
    That's arguable and probably untrue. What is inarguable is 777's comment 'All this Government is doing is giving away fish instead of fishing rods.'

I felt really embarrassed at the supermarket when the trolley had tins of tomatoes, chickpeas and a bag of barley in it.

The checkout lady looked me up and down and maybe thought I was poor but obviously had second thoughts as she said nice of me to think of the poor but she pointed out that some food banks don’t take such stuff.

No I said it’s for me ....see that ham hock in the trolley as well ....put that with the tomatoes and chickpeas and barley and a few other things in the crock pot you get a scrumptious stew. Really yummy with Morrocan spices and even in summer I love this for dinner with fresh bread and say a Hans Herzog Pinot Gris sitting out on the deck.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    But he so correct JT. As is BlackPeter.

All this Government is doing is giving away fish instead of fishing rods. They do it knowing that it will not achieve what they say it will but will keep their voting base up. Even a blind person can see this. Keep them wanting and offer them more next time.

It is bad parenting that is the cause of this "child poverty".
    Well said. Its very often poverddy (as Jacinda would call it) of ideas not poverty of means. Bad parenting indeed, putting their own laziness and apathy ahead of the kids needs. Just like the refuge owner the other day complaining about tomatoes and chick peas, it almost seems endemic in this country.... we need more more more. Just like Africa, just keep throwing money at it without solving the problem.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I felt really embarrassed at the supermarket when the trolley had tins of tomatoes, chickpeas and a bag of barley in it.

The checkout lady looked me up and down and maybe thought I was poor but obviously had second thoughts as she said nice of me to think of the poor but she pointed out that some food banks don’t take such stuff.

No I said it’s for me ....see that ham hock in the trolley as well ....put that with the tomatoes and chickpeas and barley and a few other things in the crock pot you get a scrumptious stew. Really yummy with Morrocan spices and even in summer I love this for dinner with fresh bread and say a Hans Herzog Pinot Gris sitting out on the deck.
    Thankfully you will very soon receive the winter heating allowance to pay for the Pinot to complement the chickpeas & tomato based 5 star meal :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    You guys are so out of touch with the reality of poverty. Im wishing you some soon so that you will finally get a taste of what it is like;.
    Geez that's pretty offensive and uncompassionate! Surprised you don't cop a time out on the naughty step for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    but she pointed out that some food banks don’t take such stuff.

I was drifting in and out of the radio the other day and heard something about tinned tomatoes not being wanted by a charity. I thought WTF - its got to be a joke. Didnt listen in the rest.

Seriously - do food banks not want tinned tomaotes. If that's the case, where beggars can afford to be fussy then there's not much poverty in NZ.

AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I was drifting in and out of the radio the other day and heard something about tinned tomatoes not being wanted by a charity. I thought WTF - its got to be a joke. Didnt listen in the rest.

Seriously - do food banks not want tinned tomaotes. If that's the case, where beggars can afford to be fussy then there's not much poverty in NZ.
    Tomatoes are Ok its the Tomaotes they dont want.

Advanced Member

So I use my chainsaws and axes to fill my sheds with wood and in the winter I keep the house roasting with my wood and my water (rainwater) boiling away furiously and my power bill drops way below its summer rate. Now I am going to receive hundreds of dollars a year to keep warm? And then some clown suggests that I might decline it? Oh! I forgot - the bottles of brandy and Rum and Bourbon that come out of my shed to keep me warm. But don't worry - the cost of methamphetamine is to rise to take up the surplus.

Though it was promised, you guys should not be shouting with glee about this winter is coming money as they might take it back even before I receive my first super entitlement But no matter what, my share of the bounty will go straight to Squirrel or Harmoney to help those looking out for loans. Take that as my way of "opting out" to the largesse. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    That's arguable and probably untrue. What is inarguable is 777's comment 'All this Government is doing is giving away fish instead of fishing rods.'
    Fishing rods are of no use. National took the water out of the rivers and gave it to dairy farmers and allowed the big fishing companies to trawl the ocean unchecked.

westerly