sharetrader

Thread: Harmoney

Hybrid View

Default beating a dead horse - more on RAR vs XIRR

Leesal have a very valid point on the XIRR for which I can give an example on an actual fund I have invested in Harmoney on behalf of a friend. It is just 3 months old and about $80k.

The first RAR from Harmoney is:
    11.34% as shown in the attached screenshot.

When I calculate the XIRR, it is 20.5%. (note for Leesal, my method is just simply accounting for deposits - no withdrawals - and taking the ending o/s bal as cash return, no individual loans calculation).

However, when I remove the PP effect on the o/s balance of approx $1435.31. ((the difference between "Borrower Principal Amount" of $81435.31 and "Loan Investments (funded)" of $80,000.00)), the resulting XIRR is just 8.26%. The difference is of no surprise to me as I expected that. The month before (2 months in) it was something like 22% vs 4%.

As time goes by, the gap will narrow a lot. My 14+% RAR for my own investment (see post above) of about 3 years have an XIRR of 14.4% and XIRR (with PP removed) of 13.4%. For all these XIRR figures, I simply added back the tax paid to date as a lump sum figure to the o/s balance to enable comparison to Harmoney's RAR.
    Last edited by Cool Bear; 17-01-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: to use the correct pp and o/s figures for 31 Dec instead of 7 Jan. Further edit: the XIRRs were after adding back tax paid

Please note that the screenshot in the post above was taken on 7th January 2018, while the XIRR calculation was on 31 December 2017 when total interest received was just $1282.86
    Last edited by Cool Bear; 17-01-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added "in the post" to above