sharetrader

Hybrid View

I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?

Can't they think about Hybrid first?

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by sammiesmiles View Post
    I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?

Can't they think about Hybrid first?
    120 kms each way from Te Anau to Milford, and there would not be the electrical capacity for more than a single charging station at Milford. The hydro generator there is only 500 kW and it is already almost fully utilised. It would be possible to build diesel generators for a charging station, but imagine the cost of a charge.

Fox Glacier to Haast is 121 km, Cromwell to Omarama is 111 km, although there would be the possibility of a charging station at Tarras.

Overall, an EV needs at least 120 km at highway speed and in mountainous terrain to be suitable
    Last edited by Jantar; 17-01-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    120 kms each way from Te Anau to Milford, and there would not be the electrical capacity for more than a single charging station at Milford. The hydro generator there is only 500 kW and it is already almost fully utilised. It would be possible to build diesel generators for a charging station, but imagine the cost of a charge......
    The comment I made about Milford got me thinking about other rural areas around New Zealand. In many cases the lines infrastructure to rural towns is not sufficient to allow for more than only 1 or 2 charging points. Consider the feeder line running down the West Coast of the South Island from Hokitika to Haast. It is 33kV 3 phase, and from memory has a 40A rating. This allows it to supply 1.5 MW and at times is already close to being full.

But let's imagine that it is only at half capacity and that there are 750 kW of power available for charging stations. At 50 kW per charging station that would allow 15 vehicles to charged at any single time all the way from Haast to Hokitika, a distance of close to 300 km, and most vehicles will need to charge up at least twice along the way, taking around 30 - 40 minutes each time.

Compare that to petrol and diesel The stations at Haast, Fox, Franz, Whataroa, Harihari, and Ross can between them fill up 30 vehicles at a time taking 3 - 4 minutes each, and on avearge vehicles will fill up once along the way.

This means that even at maximum capacity the West coast highway could only handle around 5% of the number of EV vehicles compared to the current number of vehicles using that road.

EVs may be the way of the future, but the infrastructure to handle them will require a bit more planning than simply installing charging stations along the routes.

The comment I made about Milford got me thinking about other rural areas around New Zealand. In many cases the lines infrastructure to rural towns is not sufficient to allow for more than only 1 or 2 charging points. Consider the feeder line running down the West Coast of the South Island from Hokitika to Haast. It is 33kV 3 phase, and from memory has a 40A rating. This allows it to supply 1.5 MW and at times is already close to being full.

But let's imagine that it is only at half capacity and that there are 750 kW of power available for charging stations. At 50 kW per charging station that would allow 15 vehicles to charged at any single time all the way from Haast to Hokitika, a distance of close to 300 km, and most vehicles will need to charge up at least twice along the way, taking around 30 - 40 minutes each time.

Compare that to petrol and diesel The stations at Haast, Fox, Franz, Whataroa, Harihari, and Ross can between them fill up 30 vehicles at a time taking 3 - 4 minutes each, and on avearge vehicles will fill up once along the way.

This means that even at maximum capacity the West coast highway could only handle around 5% of the number of EV vehicles compared to the current number of vehicles using that road.

EVs may be the way of the future, but the infrastructure to handle them will require a bit more planning than simply installing charging stations along the routes.

According to the papers recently the people of Haast etc would just love to get cell phone coverage
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

But let's imagine that it is only at half capacity and that there are 750 kW of power available for charging stations.
    Is that really the full load available to the West Coast?

If 300 people switched on a heater (good ol' 3 bar 2400W/2.4kW) then the spare 750kW capacity would be maxxed already.

Or have I misunderstood W, MW and kW?

Missed by that much

You have indeed understood the situation. I believe the lines are often maxed out in winter and that is the reason for almost daily ripple control.

Veteran novice

This won't be any competition for THL!

(Watch the YouTube video at the bottom of the page)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-1...ction=business

Quote Originally Posted by sammiesmiles View Post
    I don't understand why EV motorhome is that important to THL. I am curious if an EV motorhome can travel a return trip between kaitaia and Cape Reinga, or Te Anau and Milford Sounds.How much do THL need to invest some charge points in Cape Reinga, Milford Sounds?Can't they think about Hybrid first?
    Either you want to associate your brand with environmentally conscious decisions ( even if it is a miniscule move )

Or you can jump on the bandwagon late once all the lustre of EV has eroded.

The sooner we all jump on the EV train the sooner it becomes viable.
    Last edited by hardt; 18-01-2018 at 08:11 AM.