sharetrader
Page 105 of 697 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 6963
    Legend

Jacinda was impressive on TV3 this morning, talking about the Mycoplasma-Bovis infection pattern in NZ.

As this link to DairyNZ shows, it's a nasty permanent infection for cows, and has a gestation period making it difficult to preempt. Luckily it's not windborne.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/animal/cow...oplasma-bovis/

If we can eradicate it in NZ, it would presumably mean a return to lower overheads and reduced herd replacement rates. But in the meantime it'll be a large expense for the industry and the taxpayer. On the positive side it'll probably mean we'll see increased demarcation of stock on farms, more attention paid to boisecurity and the NAIT process. It's a real wonder we haven't seen some new diseases come in with palm kernel and the like.

Along with other good things this new govt is doing already, I feel more reassured that we'll end up with the best obtainable result for dairy farmers and the country as a whole.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Jacinda was impressive on TV3 this morning, talking about the Mycoplasma-Bovis infection pattern in NZ.

As this link to DairyNZ shows, it's a nasty permanent infection for cows, and has a gestation period making it difficult to preempt. Luckily it's not windborne.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/animal/cow...oplasma-bovis/

If we can eradicate it in NZ, it would presumably mean a return to lower overheads and reduced herd replacement rates. But in the meantime it'll be a large expense for the industry and the taxpayer. On the positive side it'll probably mean we'll see increased demarcation of stock on farms, more attention paid to boisecurity and the NAIT process. It's a real wonder we haven't seen some new diseases come in with palm kernel and the like.

Along with other good things this new govt is doing already, I feel more reassured that we'll end up with the best obtainable result for dairy farmers and the country as a whole.
    Do these 'good things' include all the waffle of the naive trio of Hipkins, Twyford and Lees Galloway? Surely you must see them as a total embarrasment to your beloved Labour mob! Not to mention the embarrasment to the coaltion generously provided by Shane Jones, the 100,000,000 tree man.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 15-05-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Guru

A reprise of Clark's Interest free loans scheme for lower income earners to buy housing? Wouldn't that further inflate the housing market making it even more expensive in relation to NZ income levels?

Owner occupied housing is not necessarily the optimum course for many. Rental accommodation may actually be a preferable way to secure accommodation for many single people, those without children, and for those who travel or have to relocate often for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    A reprise of Clark's Interest free loans scheme for lower income earners to buy housing? Wouldn't that further inflate the housing market making it even more expensive in relation to NZ income levels?

Owner occupied housing is not necessarily the optimum course for many. Rental accommodation may actually be a preferable way to secure accommodation for many single people, those without children, and for those who travel or have to relocate often for work.
    Yep, they dun gone and <bleeped> up. Kiwibuild was a good idea if executed properly, then they decided to buy rather than build. Not so good, they just set a price floor. Now KiwiFreeLoan.. such a dumb idea. Glad i didn't vote for them.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Yep, they dun gone and <bleeped> up. Kiwibuild was a good idea if executed properly, then they decided to buy rather than build. Not so good, they just set a price floor. Now KiwiFreeLoan.. such a dumb idea. Glad i didn't vote for them.
    You should wait for a bit to see the real effort going in on Kiwibuild, I'm sure it won't be all just buying houses off the plans. They have already bought a large block of land in Auckland. I had a look for Kiwifreeloan, and it seems to be a made-up word, some sort of fake news? Maybe it's speculation over the budget. But with current lending at just over 6% fixed, floating around 4.5%, interest rates are already historically low. The US tried that a while back on a large scale, resulted in the GFC.

You say you're glad you didn't vote for the coalition. Does that mean you have no intention of getting inline with the new govt, and is that a reasonable response? They'll be in power for at least six years, probably nine. It's a long time to hold a grudge, Vagabond47 .

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

I'm pleased that two single people I know have both bought houses, one has paid it off and bought a rental, the other has a good capital gain and some reserves in place that they otherwise wouldn't have with their usual lifestyle. Another older single person I know is on the dole, in a block flat and unable to run a vehicle. This person's choices are extremely limited, and in the past they've effectively paid off a rental with rent payments. So, many people don't have flash jobs with travel, they stay in the same area for decades, they are at the whim of landlords. It doesn't suit everyone, it's not the best result for everyone.

Legend

You should wait for a bit to see the real effort going in on Kiwibuild, I'm sure it won't be all just buying houses off the plans. They have already bought a large block of land in Auckland. I had a look for Kiwifreeloan, and it seems to be a made-up word, some sort of fake news? Maybe it's speculation over the budget. But with current lending at just over 6% fixed, floating around 4.5%, interest rates are already historically low. The US tried that a while back on a large scale, resulted in the GFC.

You say you're glad you didn't vote for the coalition. Does that mean you have no intention of getting inline with the new govt, and is that a reasonable response? They'll be in power for at least six years, probably nine. It's a long time to hold a grudge, Vagabond47 .
    What on earth is meant by 'getting in line with the new govt'?

I don't have a grudge, I almost voted for Labour. I'm just astounded how incompetent they are proving to be. I didn't think they'd be much better than the Nats but this is amazingly poor so far.

In power 6 or 9 years? Not unless they start accomplishing something useful. I was happy when Winston put Labour in, thought they might make some positive changes and didn't have their heads in the sand about the housing issues, they announced kiwibuild and I thought this is positive.. but they were pretty vague about it.

Then the oil/gas exploration announcement.. just a dumb regressive announcement, not coupled to any actual progress on renewable energy. Now they are looking at getting us taxpayers further in debt to subsidise overpriced housing for the select few that meet whatever criteria they set on this scheme, instead of doing things that bring down the prices of houses (like feed the AUP into a shredder and remove most of the daft restrictions)

Sorry, but so far they get a C grade, with a D well in sight.

Can't wait for the Budget >>

Have to agree with you Vagabond >> have voted generally to the center-right>> most elections ...but this last one I was actually looking forward to seeing a new Govt just to change the direction NZ was heading ...at present NZ looks leaderless on both sides these two new liberal leaning leaders don't seem to have any answers or real direction ....
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Can't agree with you two on that. This coalition is getting the data together, they'll make good bold policies when they have checked their facts. Labour always leaves some great changes in place when they are in power. Just the latest I heard on the radio today, more smart spending to correct the penny-pinching Nats effort.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO180...nouncement.htm